1339 posts :: Page 18 of 45
By: Likes:

Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau closes in on record held by Don Cherry

The Canadian Press, 2011-11-18

TORONTO - On the verge of a milestone victory that would come with an entry in the NHL record book, Bruce Boudreau was doing what he does best—coaching.

Sensing that his struggling Washington Capitals were in need of a break after a late-night arrival from Winnipeg, Boudreau called off a scheduled practice at Air Canada Centre on Friday afternoon.

"I just want them to take the time off and rest," he told reporters. "With games Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, it seems never-ending. There's not a chance sometimes, with us getting in at 3:30 in the morning last night, I didn't think a practice would really accomplish a lot. Sometimes not being on the ice is good.

"Last week we skated them really hard; this week you try a different tactic."

Anything to try and coax a victory that would mean more to Boudreau than most, especially if it comes Saturday night in his hometown against the Maple Leafs. The 56-year-old is stuck on 199 career NHL coaching victories and would become the fastest to reach 200 in league history, eclipsing a mark held by Don Cherry.

Cherry reached the milestone in his 341st game and Boudreau will be coaching his 325th on Saturday. Even though the honour would come with an asterisk—Boudreau's total includes 50 shootout and overtime victories—it's still a remarkable achievement for a journeyman who got his start behind the bench as a player-assistant with the IHL's Fort Wayne Komets in 1990.

That would be followed by 17 years of bouncing around various minor pro teams before the Caps gave him his first chance in the NHL in November 2007. There has been plenty of success during his tenure in Washington, although not enough of it in the post-season for anyone's liking.

The first signs of trouble emerged this season after the team set a franchise record with seven straight wins to open the year. It followed that stretch by dropping consecutive games in Edmonton and Vancouver, prompting veteran forward Mike Knuble to suggest the problems had been getting "swept under the rug a little bit."

They've been out in the open for all to see lately, with Thursday's 4-1 loss in Winnipeg dropping the Caps to 1-4-1 over their last six games. They've experienced the same problem that plagues most stumbling squads—a lack of goal production, particularly on the power play.

"You see the way some guys are fanning on the pucks and I think it's because they're over-anxious," said Boudreau. "They want to do so well, and yet, sometimes you squeeze the stick so hard that nothing works for you. I think some guys are at that stage right now where they just have to relax—and they're very skilled players—and just do what comes natural to them."

Naturally, the focus in that department has fallen largely on Alex Ovechkin. Variations of the "What's wrong with Alex?" story have been written around the league and Boudreau declined to answer questions about his struggling captain following Thursday's loss to the Jets.

He's experienced a sharp decline in scoring dating back to the start of last season. Ovechkin had 269 goals in 396 games over the first five years of his career (an average of .68 goals per game), but has just 39 goals in his last 96 games (averaging .41 goals per game).

That total includes seven goals in 17 games this season—tying the two-time Rocket Richard Trophy winner for 26th overall in the NHL entering play Friday.

"I do my best, I try to score goals," said Ovechkin. "I try to do what I have to do. Sometimes, I just can't score."

Boudreau has remained supportive of his captain, even after the two had a recent clash on the bench during a game.

The veteran coach often has a smile on his face—that could be seen throughout last year's HBO "24/7" series when Washington was struggling—and once again believes better days lie ahead.

"We'll correct it," said Boudreau. "I think every team in the NHL this year is going to go through at least one stretch where they're going to lose five out of six or six out of 10. Hopefully this is our stretch that we've just gone through.

"We'll turn the corner because all good teams turn corners."

Spoken like a man who has coached his way out of a few losing streaks over the years.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

REPORT: RECCHI CALLS CANUCKS MOST HATED TEAM HE FACED

TSN.CA STAFF, Nov 18 2011

The Stanley Cup Final between the Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks got very heated over the course of the seven-game series.

In the eyes of Mark Recchi, the Canucks stood out as the most hated team he faced over his 22-year career, which came to an end when the Bruins skated around the Rogers Arena ice in Vancouver with the Stanley Cup last June.

"In 22 years, they are the most arrogant team I played against and the most hated team I've ever played against," Recchi told CBS Radio in Boston. "I couldn't believe their antics; they're falling and diving. It was very frustrating, but at the same time as the series wore on we knew we were getting to them and we knew our physical play and our skating, I think it caught them off guard a little bit."

The series started on a nasty note when Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron accused Alex Burrows of biting his finger during a scrum. Then in Game 3, Canucks defenceman Aaron Rome was suspended for the duration of the series for hitting Nathan Horton late and ending the season for the Bruins forward.

Despite the gamesmanship, Recchi liked the Bruins' chances against the Canucks going into the Stanley Cup Final.

"We played Vancouver late in the season and it was a good game, but I had no doubts that if it came down to a seven-game series, we would the team that would be the champion," Recchi told CBS Radio in Boston.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Filatov flaked out with Jackets

By Bruce Garrioch, QMI Agency, Nov 18 2011

EDMONTON - Nikita Filatov isn’t willing to pay the price to score goals and that’s why he’s not in the NHL.

The Senators winger was the talk of cyberspace Thursday after it was revealed he wants to bolt the organization to join the Central Red Army in Moscow unless GM Bryan Murray agrees to recall the 21-year-old.

Toiling with the club’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton, it got even more embarrassing when Columbus Post-Dispatch hockey writer Aaron Portzline tweeted the following story about Filatov from his days with the Blue Jackets.

“One of (Filatov’s) many previous coaches calls him into room with video guy for 1-on-1 film work, to show him (instances) where they want him to crash the net and get to rebounds, create scoring chances,” wrote Portzline. “After four or five clips, Filatov steps back from the monitor, looks at the coaches and says, flatly: ‘Filly don’t do rebounds.’ ”

Apparently, ‘Filly don’t do the minors, either.’ The Senators hope this isn’t the end of Filatov in Ottawa, but that decision won’t be made until the end of November.

“Every person is different with how they handle stuff,” said Zenon Konopka, who bounced around the minors before earning an NHL job. “(Corey) Perry and (Ryan) Getzlaf played in the minors in Portland when I was there.

“There’s something to be said for the character of what moulds you in the minors. You learn a lot, not just hockey lessons, but life lessons. It’s a good place for everyone to be, minus (Sidney) Crosby and (Alex) Ovechkin.”

Good advice for Filatov.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHL needs to stick to punishment script

By RANDY SPORTAK, QMI Agency, Nov 18 2011

Sometimes, it's so hard to figure out the NHL.

Often when players dish out a hard but clean, bodycheck, they have to be prepared for an opposing player to come at them looking to exact a pound of flesh.

The best example that comes to mind was early last season when Calgary Flames defenceman Mark Giordano lined up Edmonton Oilers rookie Taylor Hall but only got a piece of him because Hall jumped to avoid a check. The extent of Hall's damage was landing on his rear end.

However, Colin Fraser, who came onto the ice for a line change right after the hit, went straight to Giordano and dropped the gloves.

Yet when Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic ran into Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller or the Montreal Canadiens' Brian Gionta cut across the crease and bumped into the Toronto Maple Leafs' James Reimer, nobody reacted to that degree on the ice.

It's good the league's GMs have decided to call that kind of contact more closely, but it all comes back to the goofy sense of self-policing we have in the pro game.

Goaltenders are not 'fair game' - although some of them sure take advantage of that freedom when they juke and jive with the puck, expecting forecheckers to go right by them - but aren't being protected by their teammates.

(That said, the hockey world will be on high alert when the Sabres and the Bruins meet again Nov. 23.)

Players should be protected, but it's messed up when antics we see from the likes of the Minnesota Wild's Cal Clutterbuck, the Buffalo Sabres' Patrick Kaleta (who Miller apparently doesn't realize crosses the line with regularity) and the Columbus Blue Jackets' Derek Dorsett run around on the ice with little reprisal and everyone takes offence to clean hits.

Worse yet is the league hands out deserved suspensions for as many things as it has this season, yet it lets Lucic get a free pass.

Sure, Lucic didn't want to clobber Miller, but he sure didn't seem to let up much.

And don't get me going on how big of a joke a three-game penalty is for St. Louis Blues forward Chris Stewart for his drilling of Detroit Red Wings defenceman Niklas Kronwall.

Does this mean we're once again back to limiting suspensions because a player isn't hurt?

FLAMING C-NOTES

Now we know why the Flames scratched Niklas Hagman but played Pierre-Luc Leblond against the Minnesota Wild last week. The whole waiver process which resulted in Hagman going to the Anaheim Ducks was about to be set in motion, and the Flames didn't want to risk Hagman being injured.

The knock on Rene Bourque isn't just about offence, it's about how inconsistent he is at being a factor. When you see the way Bourque absolutely dominated the game against the Montreal Canadiens during last season's Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium - two goals and 11 shots on goal - you can't help but ask why they don't happen more often, as in once a month.

It's not like Bourque should be expected to be a 40-goal scorer, but he can at least push for it. Jarome Iginla's high was 31 before netting 52 in that dominating 2001-02 season.

Here's the most basic way for the Flames power-play to start working: Start hustling to win puck battles and stop standing still.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Andreychuk to NBA players: Sign a deal and sign it now
Former Bolt recounts how the offer got worse after NHL players sat out a season

Mike Bianchi, The Orlando Sentinel, November 18, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. — Dave Andreychuk has a wise piece of business advice for NBA players who believe they can outlast the NBA owners in this game of collective bargaining chicken:

Don’t do it.

Don’t even think about it.

You will lose.

And you will lose badly.

You are the Washington Generals and the owners are the Harlem Globetrotters.

“If players think it’s better to sit out the season, let me tell (you), it’s not. It’s just not,” Andreychuk says. “In the end, it will be worse.”

More than almost anyone, Andreychuk should know. He was the captain of the 2004 Tampa Bay Lightning that shocked the hockey world by winning the Stanley Cup in seven games over the Calgary Flames.

One season later, hard-line NHL owners wanted to drastically cut player salaries, restrict movement and make systematic changes to the sport’s collective-bargaining agreement. The players protested, negotiations broke down and the season was cancelled.

Sound familiar, NBA fans?

It should because this is exactly where the NBA is headed.

NBA players don’t want to have their salaries sliced and their free agency inhibited. They want to be able to take their talents (and their lucrative long-term guaranteed contracts) to South Beach whenever the mood hits them. And they are willing to stand up and fight against what they feel is an unfair deal that owners are trying to shove down their throats.

It is an admirable stance, but not a smart one. Players would be better off signing the bad deal owners are offering now rather than the worse one they will get later. Before long, they will divide and cave and become so desperate they’ll sign anything to get the cash flowing again so they can pay for their eight cars, five houses, four kids, three nannies, two body guards and one personal chef.

That’s what happened to NHL players. At first, they were indignant and angry when owners made them an insulting offer and told them to take it or leave it. Initially, they were unified in their fight against the tyranny of league management.

But their resolve and unity quickly dissipated into a bunch of bickering and backstabbing among a divergent group of players with distinctive financial needs. Some players had enough money to weather the lockout, many didn’t. Players flocked to Europe or migrated to the minor leagues just so they could cash a paycheque.

“As the pressure built — after a month, two months, three months — it started to sink in,” recalls Andreychuk, now a team executive with the Lightning. “Guys were saying to themselves, ‘I’m 25 years old and hockey is how I make my living. We need to get a deal done.’ ”

Players essentially overthrew Bob Goodenow, the head of the NHL Player’s Association, and replaced him with Ted Saskin, who was given a clear mandate: Sign a deal, any deal, and sign it NOW.

Within two weeks, the players, beaten and beleaguered, ended up signing for far less than what they were originally offered. Not only did players lose millions in salary; their new CBA was even more restrictive than the one they refused to sign months earlier.

“The deal got worse by us sitting out,” Andreychuk admits. “At the end, we were so willing to sign, we had to agree to what the owners wanted. We gave back a tremendous amount just to get a deal done so we could go back to work.”

Sadly, the NHL has still not fully recovered from the lost season.

It has taken many franchises, including the Lightning, years to rebuild their fan base.

“All of the momentum and excitement surrounding the franchise after we won the Stanley Cup was lost,” Andreychuk says. “Fans who bought tickets and jumped on the bandwagon during the playoffs never came back because the next season was cancelled.”

Sign the deal, NBA players.

Sign it now.

Take it from the hockey guy.

You’re about to get iced.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Mom wishes Paul Bissonnette’s Twitter feed had cleaner … grammar
Paul Bissonnette has become a fixture with the Phoenix Coyotes, and indeed around the league. On top of his expanding social media platform as @BizNasty2point0.

Sean Fitz-Gerald, National Post, Nov 18, 2011

It has nothing to do with the late-night pictures he has posted from Las Vegas, the links to more pictures of women in minimal clothing he has provided, or the frank observations he has offered from almost every aspect of his life. It is the presentation that has bothered Paul Bissonnette’s mother.

Yolande Bissonnette was a college professor for 30 years in Southern Ontario, work she often began following a chilly 5 a.m. drive to a hockey rink for one of her son’s countless practices. Those predawn drives led to a career in the National Hockey League and an unlikely rise to social media stardom through Twitter, where more than 171,000 fans have signed on to read whatever 140-character thoughts pop into her son’s mind.

“For most of the time, I’m OK with what he posts,” she said. “The only thing I wish he would get better at is spelling and grammar, because these are the things that I taught when I was at the college. So you can imagine when I see his spelling and grammar and I go, ‘Oooooh! I guess I didn’t teach him these two things.’”

She laughed.

Paul Bissonnette of the Phoenix Coyotes has become a new-media fixture around the league. And on top of his expanding social media platform as @BizNasty2point0, the 26-year-old has worked as an analyst with TSN and was recently a guest on Hockey Night in Canada’s After Hours show despite playing in only six games this season.

He is an enforcer, a fourth-line fill-in with seven points in 110 regular season games. It has given him grist for Twitter — he posted this on Wednesday: “Goaltender Marty Brodeur got his 37th career assist tonight. But to my defense he plays the whole game. #4thlineproblems” — but it has also contributed to a peculiar fact.

His mother has never seen him play in an NHL game.

For the unknowable number of AAA minor hockey games Yolande has seen, and for all the games in the Ontario Hockey League, the American Hockey League and the ECHL, she has never once seen her son wear an NHL uniform in the regular season. Part of the blame lay with the unpredictability of his coach’s roster decisions, but part of it has also been due to her health.

In March 2009, Yolande Bissonnette felt her energy levels drop. She felt unwell, and she had no idea why. She loved teaching, having spent 30 years working at Niagara College, near the family home in Welland, Ont., with courses in office administration, customer service and document formatting.

She has been on sick leave for almost three years, and has been diagnosed with vasculitis, an autoimmune disorder.

“They don’t know what caused it,” she said. “I was pretty bad, but I’ve come a long way, because I refuse to let anything get me down. I’m doing much better. I’m at least at 60%, let’s put it that way.”

It has been six or seven months without any relapse, and Yolande and her husband, Cam, are cautiously planning to make a month-long visit to Phoenix this winter. And she might not have to wait that long to see her son on the ice.

The Coyotes are set to play the Sabres Saturday night in Buffalo, across the border from Welland. More than 50 friends and family members are expected to attend — including Bissonnette’s 85-year-old grandfather, who has also never seen him play — and Yolande and Cam have rinkside seats.

“I’ll have a tear in my eye, for sure,” said Cam, a former steelworker.

“It’s like the cherry on top of the sundae,” Yolande said.

“It’s just good to play in front of your friends and family,” Paul said. “Being so far away it doesn’t happen very often. Hopefully, I can get into the lineup and put on a good show for them.”

Bissonnette has not been in the lineup since Oct. 29, but Coyotes coach Dave Tippett suggested earlier this week that he would, in fact, be in the lineup on Saturday.

“He’s arguably one of our top two or three most popular players, which is a credit to him,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said. “He’s got a great sense of humour. I cringe sometimes; I fear what he might say in the Twitter world, but I think he’s learned. The last year, he’s found a way to stay on the right side of good-and-evil.”

Bissonnette was once known on Twitter as “@PaulBizNasty,” but terminated the account after posting light-hearted tweets that became contentious when forward Ilya Kovalchuk had his contract voided with the New Jersey Devils.

The second generation of the account has become even more popular for its unique blend of humour, insight and honesty. He posted this on Wednesday: “Lady walks up to me while I’m at dinner tonight and says ‘my condolences for your loss tomorrow.’ Now that’s a sports town haha. #Philly.”

Phoenix did end up losing, 2-1 to Philadelphia on Thursday.

Bissonnette was not in the lineup.

“One of the things that had happened when Paul was very young, I’d seen an interview with an athlete on TV, and I was appalled because the person was not very vocal and couldn’t put a sentence together,” said Yolande, who was born in Chicago but raised in Belgium. “So one of the things I had said to Paul at the time, ‘Whatever job you have, wherever you’re going to be, I want you to really think about what you’re going to say, and say it.’”

“He’s being himself,” Cam said. “He’s a happy-go-lucky guy, and he’s so proud of being in the NHL, no matter if it’s the fourth line — he’s there as a fighter, it’s his primary role — he relishes the fact.”

The Coyotes signed Bissonnette to a two-year contract extension last month.

“He’s the worst person in the world to call,” his father said with a chuckle. “He’s so busy with his social media, he’s got no time to call his parents. When he goes to Vegas, we can keep track through his pictures and his tweets, because he’s telling the rest of the world what he’s up to.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Before I made it: Matt Cullen
Matt Cullen has 11 points in 19 games for Minnesota this season after a 39-point season last year.

With Kevin Kennedy, The Hockey News, Nov 19 2011

The first team I played on was the Moorhead Orange in Virginia, Minnesota. My dad was a high school hockey coach so I grew up around the game. Both my parents were involved because I had two brothers who also ended up playing professional hockey. My mom did most of the driving because my dad coached and he was also a school teacher so he didn’t have a lot of extra time to drive us around.

You know, playing for my dad wasn’t as hard as it could have been. There are some things that are obviously different, but I kind of looked at it as an advantage to be able to pick his brain because I thought he was a pretty good hockey guy. My dad was quiet behind the bench, but we were fortunate because we were pretty successful so there wasn’t much to yell about. “Work hard and have fun” is all he’d basically say. He believed there was a lot more that went into it, but if you took care of those two things, you’d be fine.

I have a great minor hockey memory when I played in the squirt division and we won a 64-team tournament in Fargo, North Dakota. We won it and I remember it being pretty special to play against some teams from Canada. We used to stay at the nice hotels and we’d play knee hockey in the hallways all over the hotel and the hotel staff would chase us all over the place. They didn’t like us doing that, but we’d play hockey everywhere.

But not every rink I played in as a kid was great. The rink I grew up playing on had chicken wire fencing instead of glass. So if you got your stick caught, the butt-end would stab you right in the gut, and on top of that, it was a cold barn. That being said, we got to play at the Met Centre once where the North Stars used to play, but I would have to say the best rink was the St. Paul Civic Centre which was replaced by the Xcel Centre. It’s where they played the state high school tournament - I got to play in that three times and it had clear see-through boards which were really cool. The 17,000 people watching was pretty cool too.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Getting To Know: Trent Hunter
Trent Hunter signed as a free agent with Los Angeles at the end of September.

Mark Malinowski, The Hockey News, 2011-11-20

Ht: 6-foot-3 Wt: 217 pounds

DOB: July 5, 1980 In: Red Deer, Alta.

First Hockey Memory: "Playing in the backyard in the rink that my dad had made me and all my friends."

Hockey Inspirations: "I loved watching Steve Yzerman play when I was growing up. Just such an amazing player offensively, defensively, just very well-rounded."

Last Book Read: "Lone Survivor."

Nicknames: "Mostly just ‘Hunts.’ It's pretty simple. I had ‘Stu’ when I played in New York. Just kind of a goofy thing between me and the guys."

Current Car: "F-350 (black). Harley Davidson."

First Car: "1982 Cutlass Siera (baby blue and rust)."

First Job: "Working construction with my dad."

Greatest Sports Moment: "I think just playing my first NHL game (2002). Scoring my first NHL goal. Those are things that stick out in your memory, that's for sure. (Against who?) Both against Toronto. They were in the playoffs. I hadn't played any exhibition or regular season and I got called up in the playoffs. Played my first game, then scored my first goal in the second game. Those are definitely two memorable games for me."

Most Painful Moment: "I don't know. I haven't had a chance to play in a lot of playoff games, but when you get eliminated it's never a good feeling. You work so hard all year. I've had a chance to play in a few series and it's never fun when they end."

Favorite Uniforms: "It's tough for me. I grew up in Alberta. I grew up a huge Oilers fan so it's kinda cool to see them go back to their vintage colors. I don't really have one that sticks out."

Funny Hockey Memory: "We had a practice going and the trainers sewed a cell phone into one of our goalie's pants. And then started calling it. You could see him looking around, he didn't know where the hell the ringing was coming from. So the boys were all kinda in on it too so we all got a pretty good chuckle out of that. (Which goalie?) I better not say!"

Closest Hockey Friends: "Probably Rick DiPietro. We pretty much started together in the minors. Played our whole careers there, then spent the last eight years together in New York. So I've seen a lot of guys come and go, but we're pretty good friends."

Funniest Players Encountered: "I had a chance to play with Shawn Bates, he was always good for a laugh or two. He kept guys on their toes and pretty light, that's for sure."

Toughest Competitors Encountered: "You play against guys like Crosby and Ovechkin and Parise, those are guys who compete hard and are bulldogs out there. They never give up and you always gotta be on your game when you're playing against them."

Most Memorable Goal: "It would have to be that first one in that Toronto series against Curtis Joseph."

Strangest Game: "Did have one my second year in the minors (in Bridgeport). We were in the Calder Cup final and Game 1 the power went out in the middle of the third period. So there was a half-hour/hour delay, you sit around, then you have to finish the game."

Embarrassing Hockey Memory: "My rookie year we were playing in Montreal, so there's always a ton of cameras and media around. So we were coming out for pre-game skate and somehow I forgot to take my skate-guards off. So I come onto the ice and was on my butt faster than I knew what happened."

Favorite Sport Outside Hockey: "Golf."

Personality Qualities Most Admired: "Honesty. Hard-working. Funny. Easy to be around."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Rink Wrap: Coaches on firing line?

BRUCE GARRIOCH, QMI Agency, Nov 20 2011

The coaching carousel could be ready to start turning at the NHL’s quarter-mark.

While Calgary’s Brent Sutter is picked by many to be the next to go, he might not be alone. Paul Maurice (Carolina), Joe Sacco (Colorado), Bruce Boudreau (Washington) and Scott Arniel (Columbus) are all rumoured to be among those who could be fired.

While anyone who follows hockey has to be amazed Arniel is still behind the bench in Columbus, maybe the Blue Jackets just don’t want to pay somebody else to lose.

So that means our focus is on the Flames, Avalanche and Hurricanes.

- CALGARY: GM Jay Feaster didn’t hire Sutter. You have to wonder if there is tension because of the way the the Flames have performed. They aren’t in a playoff spot and certainly don’t look like they’re going to get there. If Sutter gets whacked, a top candidate is former Avs coach Bob Hartley. He is coaching Zug in the Swiss Elite League and has a contract for the balance of the season, but the Flames might be able to buy out of the remainder of his deal.

- COLORADO: Sacco is in the final year of his contract and he needs to get this club into the post-season. Management wasn’t thrilled with his handling of C Matt Duchene earlier this season by placing him on the fourth line. Possible candidates include f Craig MacTavish and Michel Therrien.

- WASHINGTON: Boudreau, selected by many NHL insiders to be the first coach fired this season, has survived so far, but he could be running out of time with Alex Ovechkin not playing his best. An obvious choice would former Caps star Dale Hunter, now of the London Knights, but he’s never shown any interest in the NHL posts.

- CAROLINA: Then, there’s Maurice. He’s always rumoured to get fired, but I honestly believe he’d be the last one of this group to go. Associate coach Ron Franciscould be the choice. GM Jim Rutherford is going to make a move because nobody’s happy.

OFF THE GLASS

Speaking of Calgary, many believe the Flames are pretending if they think they’re a playoff contender. League executives expect to see Feaster try to tear it down before the trade deadline. And while the though of trading captain Jarome Iginla used to be unthinkable, that option is going to have to be considered ... You gotta give Columbus GM Scott Howson credit: He hasn’t stopped working the phones and trying to unload money instead of firing Arniel. While canning Arniel might satisfy a few people, Howson is still trying to move C Derick Brassard, C Antoine Vermette and G Steve Mason for whatever the organization can get. There’s actually significant interest in Vermette and he may actually get a ticket out of this mess. The Jackets need a goalie because Mason’s play has been miserable.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Sutter, Iginla not on same page

STEVE MACFARLANE, Calgary Sun, November 22, 2011

Brent Sutter is practically begging his players to buy in.

He wants each of them to depend on teammates to get things done in every area of the ice in order to have success.

But more than anyone, the Calgary Flames head coach needs that from his captain.

If Jarome Iginla can shake the idea he’s the only guy who can carry this team offensively and focus on other important aspects of his game first, others will follow his lead.

And then, the goals will likely come anyway.

At least that’s the vision Sutter has. During a 20-minute interview Tuesday at Joe Louis Arena, he made that pretty clear.

After his own 10-minute talk inside the locker-room moments later, it was hard to tell whether Iginla really sees things the same way.

“I understand individuals have done certain things in the past. Maybe I’m asking them to change their game a little bit for the betterment of the team. That’s probably what I’m doing to some degree, yes,” Sutter said during an impassioned scrum. “It’s the only way we’re going to have success.”

He points to teams like the Nashville Predators and the Detroit Red Wings as models of consistency, suggesting they have formed identities and committed to a style of play with and without the puck.

He offers Pavel Datsyuk — who the Flames will play Wednesday night at The Joe (5 p.m., TSN) — as an example of a guy who is perennially up for the Selke Trophy as the NHL’s best defensive forward despite the fact he’s also one of the most creative offensive talents in the NHL.

“We don’t get engaged in our team game too much,” Sutter quipped. “There’s too much individualism.

“Some guys might be fighting it offensively, but what’s your security blanket always? Your security blanket is the guy sitting next to you, the guy across the room from you, the guy from the other side of the room … and thinking as a team.

“That’s what makes you feel good every day coming to the rink, knowing that, ‘I might have had a tough night last night, but boy our team was good. I’ll get through it because I know our team is good.’

“It’s that mental aspect. Thinking it the right way. It’s so important for success for any team.”

It seems Iginla still feels he’s got to continue to be the go-to guy, rack up 40 or so goals and 80-plus points, or the team won’t have the kind of success the coach is talking about.

He bristled a little, stung a bit by the suggestion maybe he’s being asked to make a move the way Steve Yzerman did in Detroit years ago by becoming more of a shut-down guy (who also happened to continue to accumulate more points than most in the league).

“I don’t think the situations are quite similar,” Iginla said. “When he switched, the Wings were an offensive powerhouse. They had (Sergei) Fedorov and (Luc) Robitaille and (Brendan) Shanahan. That’s what the team needed, and he took that role on. If I just turn into a pure defensive player, I don’t think you’re going to say that’s exactly what our team needs.

“I know there’s a combination. I’m trying on the defensive side to keep improving, and I will. There’s definitely been some breakdowns and things I can improve on.

“I do know you’ve got to be good on both sides of it. But I still think our team will need some offensive production. That’s hurt us. I haven’t been good enough. And our line hasn’t been good enough.”

That brings us back to Sutter, who says he’s “demanding” now rather than “asking” the team to buy in more than two seasons into his three-year term.

“It’s not their fault. It’s individual success but not a lot of team success (they’ve experienced), so that’s what you’re bred into. But as you get older in your career, the sooner you can accept change in your game, the better off you are and the longer you seem to play.

“And be the best you can be at that. It’s nothing against what you’ve accomplished. It’s always what’s right for the team.

“I was one of those players. I went from being a second-line (player) to a first-line to the second line to the third, and I finished my career as a fourth-line player. But I was able to play 18 years, and I had some success. Went to the Stanley Cup finals four times — won it twice.

“And my role was different every one of those times. But it’s always what is best for the environment of your hockey club, of your team.”

The sooner Iginla realizes that and deflates some of the pressure he feels from the outside as well as the pressure he puts on himself, the better the Flames’ hopes for turning things around.

Who knows? He might even put himself back on pace for 30-plus goals. More importantly, he’ll be out there for fewer against.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

McLennan: Toughest arenas to play in

Jamie McLennan, The Hockey News, Nov 22 2011

Which are the most difficult barns for opposing players? I always think about this when watching games live or on TV. As a player, you always have your favorite places to play around the league because of the local climate, the city or the history of the building. I always had my favorites and the ones I knew were going to be a battle. Here are some thoughts that factor in to how a player performs on the road or in a certain building…for better or worse:

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

Home of the Rangers. It’s an historic building in which many major sporting events and concerts have taken place. But the ice is on the fifth floor of the building, so let’s just say it’s a struggle to even get up to the dressing rooms and onto ice level.

Then you have the fans. They are die hard, vocal and can be downright mean at the best of the times. That being said, for an opposing player going into this building, it’s a very exciting atmosphere. There is nothing in this world like skating onto the ice at the Garden with “the animals” hanging on the glass, chirping you in warmup and letting you know “You suck!” with some profanities mixed in. That made you nervous, but inspired you to have your best game.

I played in 1994 against the Rangers when the team was marching its way through the league and onto the Stanley Cup. It is an intimidating building, but a ton of fun to play in with that atmosphere - the pumping adrenaline and loud crowd. Fortunately, I didn’t get eaten alive too many times there over my career. I had rough games, but also some gems. The best part about it was experiencing that rush.

CHICAGO STADIUM

Old home of the Blackhawks. It was another one of those “old school,” legendary buildings with history. The old stadium had so many scary things about it, but the biggest for me was walking up the stairs from your dressing room to the ice. It was a long ascent onto a surface surrounded by a madhouse of the loudest fans I ever witnessed. Chicago is still legendary for its anthems. The crowd stands and cheers the whole time the anthem is on, even to a point where you can’t hear it. This is very intimidating for an opposing player.

BOSTON GARDEN

The former home of the Bruins. The new arena isn’t as scary, but the team is – obviously, since they’re the reigning Cup champions. The old Boston Garden was a very scary place to go. It was old, small and everything in it – the seats, ice and walls – was yellow. But the most intimidating part was the team. Whenever the Bruins had Ray Bourque and Cam Neely on the ice at the same time, it was scary. Plus, the ice surface was so small and the team was so big there was nowhere to skate or hide. I loved playing there, but again, it was one of those love/hate situations. One thing I could never deny was how scary a building it was to play in.

Born in Edmonton, Jamie McLennan is a former NHL goaltender currently working as an analyst for TSN. Nicknamed 'Noodles,' McLennan was drafted by the Islanders in 1991. He played 254 NHL games with the Flames, Rangers, Panthers, Wild, Blues and Isles, compiling a 80-109-33 record. He will be writing for THN.com throughout the season.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Campbell: Construction of NHL-sized arena to be proposed in Southern Ontario

Ken Campbell, The Hockey News, Nov 22 2011

The man who hopes to build a 20,000-seat arena in suburban Toronto has been an NHL owner-in-waiting for a number of years and is on a first-name basis with many members of the league’s board of governors, but Graeme Roustan insists he does not plan to pursue an existing or expansion franchise for the proposed rink.

But when you spend north of $300 million to build an arena in the most fertile and underserviced hockey market in the world, you’d have to think he’s taking the approach that if he builds it, they will come to him.

“The answer is no,” Roustan said in a wide-ranging interview with THN.com when asked if he will be pursuing an NHL franchise. “This facility was prepared and designed specifically as a multi-purpose center with the focus on concerts and cultural events and I have no expectations in regards to any professional sports team.”

But make no mistake. Roustan is a hockey guy through and through. The 51-year-old native of Sherbrooke, Que., was raised in Montreal and is the chairman of the board and CEO of Bauer, the world’s largest manufacturer of hockey equipment, and was instrumental in taking the company public earlier this year. (Bauer has nothing to do with his attempts to build the arena, however.) The dual Canadian-American citizen was in the running to buy the Montreal Canadiens before a group headed by Geoff Molson purchased the team in 2009. He also turned down a chance to buy the Tampa Bay Lightning a year later and is one of the first people in the contact list of NHL owners and would-be owners looking for investors. One of his companies has been instrumental in building hundreds of arenas around the world and he is currently working with the charitable foundations for both the Canadiens and Ottawa Senators to build public-use outdoor facilities in those cities.

For the purpose of building his Toronto area facility, Roustan has formed a company called GTA (Greater Toronto Area) Sports and Entertainment, along with Toronto developer Rudy Bratty, who was once described by The Globe and Mail as, “the man who built Toronto.” Bratty is the owner of 250 acres in the northeast Toronto suburb of Markham where there are plans to build a $3-billion development called Markham Centre, which will be home to condos, office towers, retail shops and the GTA Centre arena (corporate name to follow, no doubt). Much of the infrastructure and roadwork that a new arena would require are already being planned for the Markham Centre project, which is scheduled to be completed by 2025.

Roustan is in the process of putting together his proposal, which he plans to take to the council of the Town of Markham early in 2012. If the project is approved, construction could begin as early as next spring, with a projected completion date of 2014. He has already secured the services of BBB Architects, which designed the Air Canada Centre, BMO Field and Rogers Centre in Toronto, GM Place in Vancouver and designed the recent renovations to Madison Square Garden. The group also has a building agreement with PCL, the world’s largest construction company.

The NHL knows about the project and has been in communication with Roustan, but deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email to THN.com there are no guarantees in place.

“We are aware (the facility) is being contemplated,” Daly said. “Yes, we have had discussions with Mr. Roustan and he has been informed that in deciding whether to proceed (or not) with the project, he should assume that no NHL franchise will be forthcoming. There is no current contemplation of locating an NHL franchise in Markham.”

But as long as an NHL-ready building is waiting in such a rich hockey market, the rink will always be a target for a possible relocation spot for troubled franchises, of which there are many. Clearly, Roustan does not want to make the same mistake that was made by Jim Balsillie, who was aggressive in his pursuit of an NHL franchise. Roustan would be well-advised to take a page from the book the Winnipeg Jets wrote on patience and silence when it comes to charming the NHL.

Whether that means the Phoenix Coyotes or any other of the league’s troubled franchises will be on the move anytime soon to the Toronto area is open to conjecture. But this much is certain, according to those in the know in NHL circles: The league has absolutely no intention of propping up the Phoenix Coyotes beyond this season and the City of Glendale has made it fairly clear it will not be extending any more $25 million lifelines to offset the team’s massive losses. In nine home games this season, the Coyotes have had four announced crowds of fewer than 10,000 and with no serious owner on the horizon, will undoubtedly be the subject of much discussion at the league’s board of governors meeting next week.

Just reading the tea leaves here, but could the league possibly find a temporary home for the Coyotes for a couple of seasons while a suitable NHL market is found? If that’s the case, you’d have to think the Greater Toronto Area would be at the top of the list.

Even though there are no guarantees forthcoming from the NHL, Roustan plans to forge ahead with his building, saying it has already been deemed to be able to turn a profit on concerts even without an NHL tenant. The group has already had extensive talks with Live Nation Entertainment, which has about 60 percent of the lucrative concert market. When big-name acts come to Toronto, they often find themselves playing one show at the Air Canada Centre and smaller venues around Toronto after that because the arena is booked for hockey and basketball. Another large venue would give them a chance to have more lucrative shows in a metropolitan area of five million people.

Despite both Roustan’s and the NHL’s careful words, you’d have to think it would only be a matter of time before a second Toronto NHL team arrives. By placing the arena where it is, the franchise would not have to indemnify the Buffalo Sabres, but it would have to pay a sizeable fee to the Maple Leafs. The Leafs have long contended they have a veto over any franchise moving into their territory, but the NHL has disputed that notion a number of times.

Roustan did acknowledge his company would be interested in housing an NHL franchise if one became available.

-----

MCKENZIE: 19,500 SEAT ARENA POSSIBLE FOR MARKHAM, ONT.

Bob MacKenzie, TSN.CA, Nov 22 2011

It needs to be said up front, and quite emphatically, that the NHL has no plans to put a second franchise in southern Ontario.

But if the league's view on that should ever change, there is a potential 19,500-seat arena project in Markham, Ont., that could one day turn out to be a viable option.

Sources tell TSN that Graeme Roustan, the chairman of the hockey equipment company, Bauer, who also moonlights as an arena builder, and Toronto-area land developer Rudy Bratty, ranked in 2010 by Canadian Business Magazine as the 62nd richest man in Canada with a net worth of $940 million, are working together in a massive real estate venture that includes a 19,500-seat facility that they hope will be built regardless of the NHL interest, or lack thereof, in southern Ontario.

The project is located a slapshot away from where Tampa Bay Lightning superstar Steven Stamkos grew up in Unionville, or the western part of the town of Markham that is situated on the northeast border of Metro Toronto.

The arena would be built on a tract of land owned by Bratty, just west of the existing GO Transit train station in Unionville, and just north of Highway 407, but would be part of a much larger sports and entertainment complex, not unlike the Staples Center and L.A. Live entertainment block in Los Angeles. And all of that would be just one element of what's known as the Bratty-inspired Markham Centre, a $3 billion , 900-plus acre high-density residential, commercial and retail development that is part of the official plan of the town.

Markham mayor Frank Scarpitti is believed to be a proponent of an arena venture and town councillors are well aware of the project, although they have all signed non-disclosure agreements and cannot discuss it publicly. Mayor Scarpitti will reportedly update council on the project on Tuesday night during an in-camera, or private, segment of the regularly-scheduled town council meeting.

If this project is green lighted, the expectation is the arena will be economically viable even without a major spots tenant, that concert and show promoter Live Nation and arena management firm Global Spectrum are said to have some interest as well.

It is not a reach to suggest that Roustan's and Bratty's ultimate vision would be to one day secure an NHL franchise. Roustan was in the running to purchase the Montreal Canadiens at one point.

But NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's message to all of would-be suitors, including those from Quebec City, has been the same: do not construct a building thinking there's a chance to get an NHL franchise because the league has no plans at this time to relocate another team.

Nevertheless, the wheels are in motion to get this arena built in Markham. While nothing has been formally approved by Markam town council, there appears to be a desire to try to break ground on this project as early as 2012 with a potential completion date of sometime in 2014.

Whether that's realistic, remains to be seen, but it's quite likely we'll be hearing a lot more about this project.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

A night to remember

Michael Grange, Sportsnet.ca, November 22, 2011

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/11/22/grange_crosby_greatness/?source=video

Pittsburgh - The good ones surprise, please, entertain. The greats? They perform on demand and rarely disappoint, a significantly higher standard.

It's a heavy burden they carry over and over and over again. They're rewarded with the kind of devotion kids have for their favourite stories: sure, they know how it goes --- but they like how it goes, so they watch again and again.

And so welcome to the storybook return to action authored by Sidney Crosby at the Consol Energy Center last night. He spent 11 months sidelined, waiting for his clearly special brain to heal. Meanwhile, the hockey world was holding their own hopes for his safe return as dearly as a cup of arena hot chocolate on a cold morning. And now No. 87 was back.

And Crosby, a great one, put on a show. Two goals, two assists. Dominant shift after dominant shift. Puck battles won. A 5-0 victory over the stunned New York Islanders.

Everyone expected it, but no one could really believe it.

"You have the sense that that's going to happen, maybe because it's happened on many occasions," said Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma, who said he made an effort to soak in the moment as much as he possibly could while juggling his suddenly over-flowing lineup.

"I was reading the comments of his teammates today - I was maybe a little bit more hesitant than they were - but they weren't surprised at all to see him come out there and do some of those things. He certainly showed another knack for coming up big when the spotlight is on."

By the time he jumped on the ice for his third shift the emotions had drained out of the building just a little bit. Crosby's return was a big deal in Pittsburgh, but it wasn't quite the second-coming it was in Canada, where Being Erica was scrapped on the CBC for Hockey Night in Canada. Scalpers were taking as little as $50 for singles outside moments after the puck dropped. The streets were quiet; everyone who needed to be in the building was in their seats.

But make no mistake, inside they were ecstatic. Crosby's linemate Pascal Dupuis said it was as loud as he's ever heard the building.

There was the standing ovation in the warm-up. The "Let's Go Sid!" chants as they played a montage of his greatest moments on the scoreboard before the game. The roars for his first shift, an otherwise unremarkable 55 seconds.

"It felt like 1:40," he told his coach.

His second one came and went in a blink lasting just 20 seconds before Bylsma pulled him and his linemates off the ice in favour of a preferred face-off matchup. He needn't have: Crosby ended up winning 14-of-21 draws in his 15:54 of ice time for the game.

By the time the first five minutes of the first period had elapsed the crowd had paused to catch its breath.

Down in the lower bowl, near the Penguin's net however at least one fan saw the magic develop; anticipated how the rush was taking shape probably just as quickly as Crosby did.

"Come on Sid," he yelled.

And as the words were out of his mouth there was Crosby hippity-hopping in the neutral zone to pick up speed. Dupuis hit him in stride with a little touch pass as if this really was their 21st game of the season together instead of their third shift of the year.

From there the rest of the crowd could see developing what that lone voice had just seconds before. Bylsma said he saw it in slow motion, another in a growing collection iconic plays authored by No.87, touchstones for hockey fans for decades.

There's the Gold-medal winner at the Olympics, his shootout winner in Montreal in his first visit as a rookie. Putting Jason Spezza of the Ottawa Senators through the spin cycle during the Stanley Cup playoffs before setting up Kris Letang from his knees. There are others. There will be more.

On Monday night Crosby did as Crosby does; picking up speed, going wide on a panicked Andrew McDonald; leaning into the Islanders defenceman to hold him off and then surprising rookie Anders Nilsson - what a night to make your first NHL start -- with a backhand rifled top shelf.

His celebration was trademark -- one leg; both first pumping as he glided through the corner. The only blemish being a few choice words bellowed to the rafters and caught on camera.

"I was obviously really excited," Crosby said. "I was watching the replay and read my lips and hoped everyone wasn't reading lips at home. It's hard to keep that in."

He didn't stop there. His fourth shift came on a powerplay and it was Crosby who smoothed a pass over to Brooks Orpik for a one-timer and Crosby's first assist of the season.

He earned another assist on a goal by Evgeni Malkin midway through the second period as the Penguins' powerplay, 11th in the NHL heading into the game, will clearly be improving.

He even got his first cheap goal of the year - a fluttering backhand that bounced off Islanders defenceman Steve Staios and somehow through Nilsson, who will be seeing Crosby and the Penguins in nightmares for years to come.

Crosby was a bit sheepish about it; stifling a grin as he did the mandatory fist-bumps with the bench, but hey, it's not how but how many, and now he's only 25 points behind the Leafs' Phil Kessel for the NHL scoring lead.

"I'm not going to make any predictions on that," joked Bylsma. "But we have 61 games left and his pace is pretty good right now."

Points aside last night was a lesson, a reminder of how fantastic a player Crosby is. 24-years old and still improving; still getting stronger. Only his health can hold him back and for one night, it was perfect again and if Crosby was worried, he certainly didn't show it, as he played with abandon.

Like all the very best do when they're in their element, he enjoyed himself deeply.

"The goals and assists were great, but just being back out there, I can't really describe it," he said. "It was exciting, I was anxious, there was a lot of different things going through my mind, but the main thing was the joy of playing which I've missed the last 10 months."

The best player in the game was the player of the game, quite easily, despite taking 320 days away from it.

Crosby has been teased as the next one, a great one, a candidate for hockey's Mt. Rushmore since he was a teenager and Wayne Gretzky, the last one, said he would break all his records one day.

He won't. The game has change in ways no one could have imagined since Gretzky was putting up 200-point seasons as hockey's Babe Ruth. But one thing hasn't changed and that's the expectation that the very best do remarkable things and do them at special times. In the great reality show that is professional sports, a special place is reserved for those who can deliver their lines at the right time.

The spotlight came up and Crosby played his part. Hockey is better for it.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Crosby's return about comfort + 30 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman, CBC Sports, November 22, 2011

To a man, the Penguins were surprised this didn't happen sooner.

"I thought he was ready a month ago," several Pittsburgh players said on Monday morning, hours before Sidney Crosby owned the ice with a two-goal, four-point night against the Islanders.

"Well, I didn't feel I was ready a month ago," said Crosby in one of his two HNIC interviews, this one during the second intermission.

What do we know now about the sport's best player? The wait for his return was all about comfort, not ability.

"Contact was a big step...making sure I felt well with that," he said. "I'm going to get hit hard, probably harder than I did in practice; got to make sure I can deal with that." Crosby added that he was happy to get the first hits "over with."

Undoubtedly, people tuned into Monday night's broadcast to see how Crosby would react to that first collision. Even head coach Dan Bylsma wondered. And it wasn't just about how the Penguins' captain would handle a big check. There is no player in the NHL who uses body contact to attack more than Crosby does. He likes to initiate that kind of physicality, often in an attempt to spin off a defender and create a scoring chance.

He did not shy away from that on Monday. That, as much as the four-point game, is the truest sign that he was comfortable.

But, you could see what his teammates were talking about. Every summer, Crosby picks apart at least one piece of his game. So, what did he work on this year? Asked about that in a broadcasters' meeting hours before Monday's game, Bylsma smiled. Later, it became clear. The answer is: "Just about everything."

Early in his career, there was "The Summer of Faceoffs." During his rookie season, Crosby's percentage was 45.5 per cent. Of the 88 centres who qualified in the league standings, he was 85th.

Sources say: that's not very good. At the time of his 2010-11 season-ending injury, he was at 55.6 per cent, good for 14th overall. Last night, he was 14 of 21.

Crosby also reached a point where he thought he was too easy to defend, because he was too much of a passer. Opponents were sagging off him and worrying about potential passing targets. So, he worked on his shot to become a more dangerous sniper.

As a result, he went from a consistent 30-goal scorer (as if that's so terrible), to a 51-goal sharpshooter in 2009-10. Last season, he was on-pace for 60-plus prior to his injury.

Both of his return-night goals came off the backhand, already one of the most lethal weapons in his arsenal. The first one you could see coming the moment he came charging over the blue line. The second, well, you don't see those kinds of goals any more.

"He sees the game in HD," said new teammate Steve Sullivan. And this goal was a perfect example, the greatest evidence that Crosby's concussion no longer affects his on-ice vision.

You don't want to see your goalie beaten on a backhander from the boards. And, it didn't help that Anders Nilsson doesn't have a tonne of experience against Crosby (or many other NHL players). Nilsson was tempted to cheat because a) Crosby's a great passer and b) who's going to score on the backhand from there? Well, we know the answer.

The games are going to get harder. The opponents will be tougher and the adrenaline of Opening Night wears off. But the skill set is still there.

In fact, there's a chance it may be better than before.

30 THOUGHTS

1. Today (Tuesday, November 22) is the first of two scheduled mediation sessions between the NHL and Jerry Moyes. (The other is next Tuesday.) Basically, the two sides are trying to work out payment for money owed by the former Coyotes owner. The most newsworthy aspect of this is that it affects Wayne Gretzky. The league has always maintained it is through this process that Gretzky will be paid the $8 million US owed from his time in Phoenix. Key thing to remember: this is not arbitration, so mediator cannot force them into a binding resolution.

2. What kind of crazy bizarro world do we live in where an NHL GM and head coach feel the need to deny they are blocking a reporter on twitter?

3. What does Kyle Turris' signing mean? Only that Don Maloney will at least consider trades. Turris still wants a fresh start, but the Coyotes GM isn't going to grant that wish simply because there's a new contract. The best thing for Turris to do is show up and play hard. That way, things take care of themselves. Still believe Calgary covets him.

4. You've got to think Turris had a pretty good idea the $1.4 million range was going to be his new average annual salary. This was never about $4 million a year, but Maloney wouldn't blink. If you're playing poker with Maloney, you'd better have a great hand.

5. Don't know if there's been a team over the past few years that seems to enjoy hockey less than the Flames. Yes, they're struggling. Yes, you want your guys to compete and take it seriously. But, it's got to be fun. You don't have a chance without loving what you do.

6. That brings us to the Blackhawks. It is very tempting to look at the 14-5 combined loss to the Calmonton OilFlames and say, "Forget the trip to Vegas, you don't deserve it." Not sure that approach works anymore. It's a long season. You're going to have bad games. Sometimes, the best medicine is getting away from the rink and relaxing. Not sure if John Tortorella still does this, but he used to set the schedule at the beginning of the year. The players knew when they had days off and when they'd practice. He rarely changed it. (I want to say there was at least one season where he never did, but I lost those old notes.) The Lightning really responded to that approach.

7. A few people asked if Crosby is wearing a new helmet. The answer is no. Apparently, he met with Reebok over the summer to discuss a new one but couldn't find a design he was comfortable with. So, he stayed with last season's model. And, this is not a case where the helmet was considered an issue.

8. A creature of habit, Crosby continued to have the steel of his skate blades changed every two weeks, just like he does when he's healthy.

9. The "Welcome Back Sid" placards handed out at the game Monday night were ordered specifically by Mario Lemieux. Lemieux remembered how much seeing an arena full of similar signs meant to him during one of his own comebacks.

10. I try to be careful about jumping to conclusions when you see a team for the first time and it performs like the Islanders did. When Lemieux returned in 2000, Pittsburgh destroyed a pretty good Toronto team, so this kind emotion can overwhelm an opponent.

11. The biggest question Garth Snow must answer is, "Why aren't our prospects developing?" After Saturday's 6-0 home bludgeoning by the Bruins, Jack Capuano made his players watch the first period of that game by themselves -- no coaches present. It wasn't much better against Pittsburgh. That isn't the Islander team we saw finish last year.

12. Watching Nilsson made me think of Dave Reece, the Boston goalie victimized by Darryl Sittler's 10-point night in 1976. What a situation to be thrown into. Can only think of two reasons why he played. One is that Rick DiPietro is really hurting (and New York is already down two goalies). The other is that Capuano tried challenging his players to compete hard for a teammate who they'd know was in a tough spot. Hope it doesn't hurt his confidence.

13. Followed up last weekend's Hotstove discussion about Alexander Ovechkin with a couple of coaches. You know who they agreed with most? Glenn Healy. They'd ride Ovechkin 25 minutes a night. "I'd double-shift him," one said. Judging from the fact Ovechkin got 18 minutes on Monday, Bruce Boudreau is sticking to the accountability plan.

14. A couple of readers pointed out that Ovechkin is not a centre like Bergeron/Toews/Crosby/Malkin/Datsyuk/Zetterberg (as talked about here), so he can't be expected to retreat deeper into the defensive zone. Not correct. Wingers still must collapse down on occasion and also provide an outlet for defencemen to pass to.

15. Columbus GM Scott Howson is conducting quite the extensive goalie search; not just looking at short-term solutions. Among those looked at were Tuukka Rask and Jonathan Bernier. But the most coveted Jacket is Ryan Johansen. Believe Howson has refused to trade him at least twice. Once was to Edmonton for Ales Hemsky. (The other, I'm not 100 per cent certain.) Another player other teams like is defenceman John Moore.

16. Peter Chiarelli on Rask: "I am not trading him. He is the goalie of the future."

17. Amazing to watch what's happening in Minnesota. The organization was so incredibly disappointed by last season's playoff miss; everyone was really down. What changed the mood? AHL affiliate Houston going to the Calder Cup Final. Seeing that kind of run energized management, because it saw real hope in the youth. It also allowed Chuck Fletcher to sell Mike Yeo as coach.

18. If you pumped Fletcher full of truth serum, would he say he saw this happening? The Wild moved from one of the league's oldest teams to one of its youngest. And, the group may get even younger next season with four high-ceiling prospects ready to compete for time -- Mikael Granlund, Johan Larsson, Jonas Brodin and Charlie Coyle.

19. Fletcher's most interesting decision will be what to do in goal. Niklas Backstrom has one more year at $6 million. Josh Harding's played incredibly, and is a UFA-to-be making $750,000 (a few teams like him). There is a youthful option at this position, too -- Jeff Hackett's nephew, Matt.

20. As Nashville tries to close in on Ryan Suter, you get the sense their biggest competition is 860 miles to the north. At some point, the Red Wings are going to have a Lidstrom-sized hole on the blueline. He can never be replaced, but, Suter is about as good as it gets in trying. It sounds like the Predators are saying all the right things, like how they'll be a cap team, etc., but can they get Suter/Shea Weber to take discounts like Detroit gets its guys to do? Sure would help Nashville get an impact forward.

21. Suter or Weber? I'll take the one you don't want and be very happy.

22. A lot of Dallas' off-ice troubles can be traced to forgetting its roots. For years, the Stars were the NHL's great Southern Success Story. They built some beautiful local rinks, they were very active in the community and Reunion Arena was a fantastic place to watch hockey. As the team slithered into bankruptcy, a lot of that was lost. New owner Tom Gagliardi made a big step towards fixing that by bringing back former president Jim Lites. Next will be Mike Modano in an ambassador-type role. It's almost like starting over, but, for the first time in awhile, there is belief positive change can be made.

23. Joe Nieuwendyk says the new ownership won't bring changes in the hockey department, at least for now. He's begun contract talks with Jamie Benn, although that process is still very early. One opening Nieuwendyk will need to address at some point is director of amateur scouting, as the organization parted ways with Tim Bernhardt.

24. For a guy who generally avoids saying anything controversial, Jacques Martin sure can drop an atom bomb once in a while. Friday, he told Dave Stubbs of The Montreal Gazette certain players "don't have the same philosophy or commitment" as he does. Martin had to know that people would start throwing Scott Gomez's and Andrei Kostitsyn's names out there.

25. The New York Post reported Tuesday that investor Nelson Peltz is interested in buying the New Jersey Devils. In the past, Peltz has been linked to the Senators and the Islanders. He might even be snooping around Toronto in some kind of partnership. He is, as one source called him, "The ultimate tire-kicker."

26. The issue with Providence Equity and the Maple Leafs is/was debt load. It's difficult to figure out exactly how far down the road this bid went, but it's formula for buying the team was minimal cash, mucho debt. The NHL wants no part of that.

27. It's been reported many times that Larry Tanenbaum, who owns 20 per cent of the Maple Leafs' parent company, has the right of first refusal on any attempt to sell the Teachers' 79 per cent share. There is a point where his control dilutes. That point, however, is apparently far enough into the future that it won't affect this process.

28. At the GM meetings last week, Brendan Shanahan showed video of several borderline plays that weren't suspensions. We're talking Wojtek Wolski and Chris Neil among them. GMs told him not to suspend if players had a "plausible explanation" for these collisions. A lot of lawyers in that crowd.

29. Most rational-thinking people believed the idea of charging Zdeno Chara with any kind of crime was crazy. But, now that this nutty criminal investigation's been dropped, I would guess the happiest people are the Montreal Canadiens and those trying to bring an NHL team to Quebec City. If you charge Chara, you have to do the same with any local who does anything remotely similar. Bet you wouldn't find a lot of players interested in competing under that setup.

30. Wanted to mention a couple really good hockey sites. The first is the "Frozen Pool" section of dobberhockey.com. It allows you to easily determine line combinations/matchup success on a team-by-team or player-by-player basis. The second is thegoalieguild.com. His twitter feed/analysis is really good, and he also puts out an unbelievably comprehensive style guide. There are costs associated with both, but I'd recommend you look around. Found them very useful

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Great divide - Gretzky and the NHL

Nick Kypreos | November 22, 2011

One current superstar is back for the NHL, but the league needs to focus some attention on a former superstar in order to make things really right.

Before anyone can contemplate the thought of Wayne Gretzky being associated with any team again, it would be wise for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his board to revisit how important it is to have Gretzky again making notable appearances on their behalf.

I loved Gretzky’s response when first asked if he’ll show up to play in the Winter Classic outdoor alumni game: "They don’t need to see a 50-year-old slow guy out there!"

Yeah right. That might be the case with 90 per cent of the guys -- including me (apart from the 50-year-old part) -- but not the man who holds or shares a remarkable 60 NHL records.

From a selfish point of view I’d love to see him there. I’d get another shot at a Kodak moment on the ice and wouldn’t my kids love that. But as we were reminded yet again by reports Tuesday, there is no shot of seeing Gretzky make an appearance at the outdoor game, or anywhere else -- an all-star game, a Stanley Cup final for instance -- unless Bettman and the 29 other owners step up and do the right thing.

When the NHL picked up former Phoenix owner Jerry Moyes’ debt in bankruptcy, they also picked a potential fight with the greatest ambassador the game has ever seen. According to the terms of his deal, the debt owed to Gretzky is as much as $9 million. Not exactly chump change, folks.

Some might say he’s being greedy and has enough money already, but in the world of big business it really doesn't matter. What matters are a deal is a deal and paying one’s debts. In the world of professional sports, money talks and bull---- walks.

I get it that the league inherited Gretzky as a creditor and he must be patient like other creditors; but how long do you make the guy who built your league to 30 teams wait? Does the NHL really want to compare what they owe him in deferred payments to the expansion fees he lined the owners’ pockets with the past 20 years?

Are you kidding me? No contest. The man is the Babe Ruth of hockey, so why isn’t the league making this a priority? It’s been more than two years since Gretzky and the NHL have done anything significant together, and two years can easily turn to three and four and beyond.

The league needs to do the right thing by picking up the phone and starting up a dialogue that makes everyone believe this relationship can once again be as strong as ever. Just like a new CBA deal, there’s a deal to be made with compromises that satisfy both sides.

Bettman and the league need to stop making Wayne and the fans pay for the league’s continued financial challenges when it comes to dealing with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Then I can get my Polaroid taken at my outdoor alumni game.

Nick Kypreos is a Stanley Cup champion and Hockeycentral analyst

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

More drama for the Capitals

Paul Waldie, Globe and Mail, November 23, 2011

The last thing the Washington Capitals needed was more drama, but they got it.

The Caps have already endured a sluggish start from Alex Ovechkin and the benching of high-priced forward Alexander Semin, who was scratched from Washington’s game Monday because of poor play. Now the team has had to scratch forward Joel Ward for Wednesday night’s game against the Winnipeg Jets.

Why? Ward overslept and missed a team meeting Tuesday. Under team rules, that means he can’t play.

“You don’t want to do it, he’s a good player, but the rules have got to be the rules for everybody,” head coach Bruce Boudreau said after the Capitals went through a pre-game skate Wednesday morning. “It’s an unfortunate thing. He overslept. He understands the rules. He’s a good team guy.”

Ward will be missed. He has four goals and four assists so far this season in 19 games.

He looked contrite Wednesday, acknowledging his dumb mistake and taking his punishment.

“I forgot to set my alarm,” he told reporters sheepishly.

As for the Jets, Boudreau knows his players have to play a lot better than they did last week in Winnipeg, when the Jets won 4-1. Evander Kane was a particular problem for the Capitals, getting two goals in that game.

“I think that’s the third two-goal game against us for him,” Bourdreau said. “Hopefully it will be [noticed]. They all know about it,” he added referring to players. Kane is “a good player I mean there’s no doubt about that. But some teams, some players, they love playing against some teams and I wish players didn’t like playing against us. Evidently he does.”

Boudreau said he team just didn’t play well last week. “Sometimes you say that and [the opponent] gets offended because they thought they were really good, but they were really good, but we weren’t very good at the same time.”

As for Semin, who hadn’t been benched since his rookie year and is getting paid $6.7-million (U.S.) this year, Boudreau said: “I expect him to be a good player tonight.”

Ovechkin backed up Semin saying all the players have to work harder. “He knows it and everybody knows it,” Ovechkin said after the pre game skate.

He added that “of course [Semin] was upset” over the benching. “He’s a big boy...He’s not going to cry about it. “

His advice to the fellow Russian? “I just told him, don’t think about it. It’s going to be hard. Of course it’s hard when you are healthy and you feel pretty good about yourself and you are not playing, it’s pretty hard. But it’s done. It was yesterday.”

Ovechkin agreed that there was one silver lining in Semin’s troubles. It deflected attention from his own poor play. He still has just seven goals and 15 points this season.

“Yeah probably,” Ovechkin said with a smile when asked if he was relieved to be out of the lime light at least for a few days.

He added that the Caps 4-3 win Monday against Phoenix, brining their record to 11-7-1, has given them some momentum heading into Wednesday’s game.

As for the Jets, coach Claude Noel isn’t taking the Caps lightly, although he feels his players have a lot more confidence coming off three wins at home.

“When I watched pre game skate today, I’m thinking you know what, guys are more confident, guys have got on the board offensively, they feel better about themselves winning games and I think they are just a little bit more loose,” Noel said. “And you could see more tape to tape [passes], less bobbling, less shrapnel flying around, let’s put it that way. About a month ago there was a fair bit of it and I was like ‘Come on’.”

He also agreed that Washington didn’t play its best last week. “I don’t think we saw their complete A game, I know that it’s there because I’ve seen it before...They are a team that can be very dangerous. You can’t play these guys lightly.”

The Jets will get one player back tonight. Veteran defenceman Ron Hainsey is expected to be back in the line up after missing 16 games due to injury.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dilemma of discipline in junior hockey -
Not an easy job trying to mete out fair punishment while trying to maintain consistency

By RYAN PYETTE, QMI Agency, Nov 23 2011

LONDON, ONT. - Ontario Hockey League discipline does not, as has been suggested, consist of commissioner David Branch spinning a Wheel of Fortune replica while Vanna White applauds in the background.

There is no roulette table in sight at league headquarters in Toronto.

Though one might picture a poorly lit punishment chamber or dungeon, the decisions that cause so much confusion, amazement, outrage and eye-rubbing originate from a rather standard boardroom outfitted withfourPVR s, aneditingsuite and a viewing screen that covers an entire wall.

It is here that Branch and vice-president Ted Baker reached such conclusions as Niagara's Tom Kuhnhackl deserving 20 games for nailing Kitchener's Ryan Murphy, while London's Ryan Rupert required a five-game sitdown for a much-debated slash of pesky Soo Greyhound Nick Cousins.

The OHL has more technology than ever to make these decisions -- it posts videos explaining the rationale behind decisions and has had lots of practice, with 10 suspensions of 10 or more games so far this season. But the prevailing attitude has been the league is as inconsistent as it was in the past.

"Obviously, there's been a focus on checking to the head this year," Baker said. "The floor is at a higher level than it was last year. Teams understand.

"We find it's the three-to-five game ones that are often the most argued about, that there could've been a game or two more or less, not the bigger ones."

The past few seasons, the league pushed to improve its TV offerings and increase viewership. Another result has been improved visuals with which to judge suspendable actions.

But even then, it can be a head-scratcher. On Saturday in Owen Sound, London's Max Domi hurt Attack import Artur Gavrus with a staggering body check that sent everyone filing into the "clean hit or not" camps.

When you watch something over and over and still aren't positive it's a head check, you start to gain an understanding for what Branch and Baker have to dissect.

"Our intent isn't to re-referee games," Baker said. "Discipline isn't the most pleasant part of David Branch's job, nor mine. We want to create a better environment for our players. It's about learning and teams have already instituted that by taking our videos and studying them."

The first thing learned is there's a precedent for everything.

Branch and Baker have, at their disposal, a video catalogue of every five-minute and game-misconduct penalty handed out. They can compare and contrast on the big screen.

"There are similar plays that come up and it helps to look at them," Baker said, "but you quickly find no two are the same.

"You'll come across something you've never seen before and that's part of what makes this business, and hockey, so great."

Though the OHL's rules of play have a big-league feel, they stop short at suspensions.

When NHL justice minister Brendan Shanahan meets with Branch, they don't discuss conforming their disciplinary measures.

"The NHL has its own standard," Baker said.

And there are different aims in play. The NHL is a destination; the OHL is a pathway. The OHL doesn't only need to protect its players, it needs to convince the parents of minor hockey kids that safety concerns are front and centre.

The Canadian Hockey League is in a recruiting war with a U.S. college hockey system also vying for the top teenaged talent.

And when those stars suit up in major junior hockey, it's important the league does its part to reduce the risk of career-threatening injury. It doesn't serve the OHL at all if, say, Sarnia sniper Nail Yakupov is hurt by a head check, can't play a bunch of games, an NHL GM gets scared and he ends up being picked fourth instead of first overall.

There's money and status as the best developmental league in the world at stake.

There's also a tug-of-war between equity and common sense. The OHL brass admits this -- they have been relatively busy.

"There was a couple weeks back where we didn't have any (video) to look at," Baker said, "but that hasn't been the norm."

They might not be spinning a wheel, but the discipline game is forever changing.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Struggling Flames face culture shift

Scott Cruickshank, Calgary Herald, November 23, 2011

For not the first time, Brent Sutter led reporters through his career arc.

No doubt, he’s proud of having walked the team-first walk.

And, right now, there’s an urgent need to get the message out — loud and clear — to his skaters.

“I went from the second line to the first line to the second to the third, and I finished my career as a fourth-line player,” the Calgary Flames coach said after Tuesday afternoon’s practice at Joe Louis Arena. “But I was able to play 18 years and I had some success. I went to the Stanley Cup finals four times, won it twice — and my role was different every one of those times. It always what’s best for the environment of the hockey club.

“As you get older, the sooner you can accept change in your game, the better off you are. You have to sacrifice a little bit for the betterment of the team.”

Take Olli Jokinen, who, for years, served as the go-to forward of the Florida Panthers. Now, centring the Flames’ second unit, he’s a different cat.

“A perfect example,” said Sutter.

Another illustration? Also quite handy?

Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg of the Detroit Red Wings, tonight’s opposition.

“Datsyuk is a Selke Trophy candidate almost every year, but he’s one of the most skilled guys in the National Hockey League,” said Sutter. “These guys are committed to that team game. When you look at . . . why teams are successful year after year after year, it’s because everyone’s bought in. I don’t know if you guys all understand that? But it’s so important for success.”

Reporters get it. But do all of his players?

Notice Jarome Iginla’s reaction when asked about transformations — specifically, Steve Yzerman’s from point-producer to two-way fixture.

The captain, no fool, caught the drift of the question and did not dig it.

Not one bit.

“I don’t think that’s a fair comparison,” said Iginla, who quickly pointed out that the Wings back in the day were high-flying, with the likes of Sergei Fedorov, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Brendan Shanahan. “So when (Yzerman) switched to that role . . . that’s what the team needed.”

The kicker?

“If I turned into a pure defensive player, I don’t think you’re going to say that that’s exactly what our team needs.”

Oh.

Player and coach may be reading from the same book. But the same page? Not exactly.

Neither is getting what he wants. Neither can be happy. Lose-lose so far.

Because if Iginla is bent on total offence, it’s not evident — judging by the points (nine).

Because if Sutter wants three-zone toil from Iginla, that’s hardly apparent — judging by the rating (minus-12).

“I do know that you have to be good on both sides of it, but I still think that our team will need some offensive production,” said Iginla, 34. “As far as my game, this has been a tough stretch. But I’m going to remain positive. I don’t think it’s helpful. . . to feel sorry for myself or get too frustrated or get negative.”

Even if his boss never names names, Iginla, slumping grandly, is finding himself under an increasingly warm spotlight.

This, in many ways, is expected.

“Nothing new, is it?” said Brendan Morrison. “It was the same way last year, right? That’s the way it always has been in sports. That’s the way it will always be in sports. If your team is not playing up to its capabilities, the first guy they look to is your best player, your star players.

“If we were a team that had a different record — say, we had a winning record right now — it would be swept under the rug. It wouldn’t matter. But because we’re not winning games and we are under .500, it comes to the forefront. That’s just the way it is.

“He’s a grown man. He’s been through it before.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Coaches at work: Flames friction, rematch in Buffalo, Bylsmaspeak and more

Stu Hackel, SI.com, Nov 22 2011

Coaches are hired to be fired, as the saying goes. But what happens in between cements the perception we have of the guys who stand behind the bench in the NHL, the ones who prepare their teams in long hours of meetings and video study. It’s a hard job, especially when fans, the media and even the players believe they know better than the coach what a team should be doing.

That seems to be the situation in which Flames coach Brent Sutter finds himself vis a vis his captain Jarome Iginla. Sutter believes his team won’t be the consistent force it can be unless everyone buys into his scheme, and that Calgary will continue to play as a bunch of individuals and not realize the potential of its collective talents. Specifically, he wants Iginla — the 15-year NHL veteran who has topped the 1,000 point plateau and is only 11 goals away from 500 — to concentrate on his defensive game.

Right now, the 34-year-old Iginla is minus-12, with only five goals and four assists — not vintage Iggy.

Sutter points to a couple of models from the Red Wings’ past and present – Steve Yzerman and Pavel Datsyuk – as examples of the kind of player he thinks Iginla could be, a force for both creating and preventing goals. Yzerman’s case is especially relevent, Sutter believes, as the Wings’ Hall of Fame captain went from offensive powerhouse to Stanley Cup champion by buying into coach Scotty Bowman’s responsible defense mantra, and in the process, he earned a Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward.

Seems to make sense — except that Iginla is apparently not entirely on board. The Flames are next to last in the West and 28th in the league in goals scored (only 42), and Iginla told Steve MacFarlane of The Calgary Sun that he doesn’t believe it helps the team for him to focus on his play without the puck. “I do know you’ve got to be good on both sides of it,” he said. “But I still think our team will need some offensive production. That’s hurt us. I haven’t been good enough. And our line hasn’t been good enough.”

The comparisons with Yzerman don’t hold up for Iginla. “I don’t think the situations are quite similar,” he said. “When he switched, the Wings were an offensive powerhouse. They had (Sergei) Fedorov and (Luc) Robitaille and (Brendan) Shanahan. That’s what the team needed, and he took that role on. If I just turn into a pure defensive player, I don’t think you’re going to say that’s exactly what our team needs.”

MacFarlane writes that Sutter is “demanding” and not “asking” his players buy in. He looks to his own situation, as a center who played different roles during his 18-year NHL career, from first line to fourth line and everything in between, depending on what his team needed. He won the Stanley Cup twice by doing it. “My role was different every one of those times,” he said. “But it’s always what is best for the environment of your hockey club, of your team.”

This one bears watching.

Rematch:

The Bruins visit Buffalo on Wednesday night, their first return engagement after the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident. The aftermath and the coaches are in the spotlight as much as the players.

Buffalo’s Lindy Ruff was furious about his club’s lack of physical response to the B’s and he met with each Sabre the next day to go over what he expects of them in that sort of situation. But when it comes to the rematch, revenge could take a back seat to the need for the banged-up Sabres to get two points. They don’t match up well against the Bruins in the fisticuffs department, and asked whether he thought there would be any retaliation, Ruff said on Tuesday, “I don’t know what to expect. I mean, we’ve got to try to win a game, obviously. They’re playing well….We’re playing the best team in the league right now.”

Boston coach Claude Julien seemed like-minded. “To be honest, I don’t know. We’re not looking for revenge….We handled teams that have tried to push us around. We’re not going to lose any sleep over it.’’

Asked what he saw going down in Buffalo, Lucic also downplayed the significance of the last game’s incident, saying his club was more interested in keeping their league-best nine-game winning streak going.

Quite often, those who attend games hoping for inevitable fireworks come away disappointed. This could be one of those games — but you never know.

What’s he saying?:

Sometimes a coach speaks plainly and matter-of-factly like Brent Sutter, and sometimes he sounds like he isn’t speaking any recognizable language at all. The game has become so technically sophisticated and detailed that its jargon can befuddle even the most dedicated long time fan.

Here’s Penguins coach Dan Bylsma addressing his team before their game on Monday against the Islanders, the one in which Sidney Crosby returned. See how much of this you can decipher.

http://www .youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KGAObyIixQk

He’s got Jack’s back:

There’s been some sentiment that the losing coach in Monday’s night’s marquee game, the Isles’ Jack Capuano, could be the second bench boss this season to get the axe, but GM Garth Snow put the kibosh on that rumor when he told Arthur Staple of Newsday, “I have no intention to replace our coach.”

Snow had no further comment on his woeful team, which has been outscored 11-0 in its last two games and sits in the Eastern Conference basement with a 5-10-3 record.

Another honor:

Tuesday marked the 44th anniversary of the start of Scotty Bowman’s NHL coaching career as he took over for Lynn Patrick behind the Blues’ bench for a 3-1 loss to Montreal, the team he would eventually guide to five Stanley Cups in eight years. He won another in Pittsburgh and three more in Detroit and holds every NHL coaching record there is.

Before his run of championships, Bowman took the Blues to the Cup final in their first three seasons, making them the top team of the NHL’s first modern expansion. They didn’t win a game in those three trips, but that hasn’t diminished Bowman’s popularity in the town where he got his start and met his wife, Suella.

Along with former Blues forward Garry Unger, Bowman was inducted into the St. Louis Sports Hall of Fame last week. Here’s an interview with Scotty over KMOX radio (audi0) -

http:// stlouis.cbslocal. com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F11%2Fscotty-bowman.mp3&podcast_name=Sports+Open+Line&podcast_artist=Wheeler&station_id=87&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.STL.

He reminisces about his days in St. Louis and discusses new Blues coach Ken Hitchcock, who he praises for his preparation and ability to change as the game has changed.

Asked by coach Kevin Wheeler for his advice on handling players, Bowman said, “There’s a personal side of coaching and player relationships, and there’s a professional side. You have some tough decisions to make, but when you make a tough decision, it’s professional, it’s not personal…It’s basically to separate the personal side and the professional side and that’s the most difficult task anyone would have because you can get very friendly with your players or you can also keep them at arm’s length, but professionally, you have to really be on the same page.”

He acknowledged that different coaches have different style, but Scotty was one who kept his players at arm’s length. It worked pretty well for him.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Sex and the Grey Cup

David Ebner, Globe and Mail, Nov. 23, 2011

As the coaches presser trundled towards its end Wednesday morning, the most important question was asked by Edmonton Sun columnist Terry Jones (whose career was just honoured by Hockey Hall of Fame): Jones vaulted out the big Q about sex-before-the-big-game.

Does intercourse sap the strength of football warriors? Would Bombers' coach Paul LaPolice police his players' love and lust? Does Wally Buono have sex rules?

Jones called it the Jim (Shaky) Hunt memorial question. The Toronto Sun man used to be the long-time asker of the pressing question.

LaPolice, at his debut Grey Cup as a head coach, gamely answered first, saying he had thought about it, and had been told to expect the Q (from prying dirty-minded media).

"Everything in moderation" was LaPolice's first thought. He floated the importance of not broadcasting any private moments to Facebook or Twitter. He concluded, regarding any unclothed off-field activity: "I don't really want to be clued in."

Buono, ever dry with his humour, said he thought the question was stated as coaches' thoughts about "sex with players."

Then he segued into a kind-of zen koan: "The thing is, what you do, you do."

Buono provided further enlightenment with this hard-to-believe statement: "Some players enjoy sex, some players don't."

Then he finished on a pragmatic note, like the veteran he is: "If sex is an excuse, it's a bad excuse." Lastly (regarding the game on Sunday, not sex): "When it's time to play, let's go play."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

naughty

Wild sign 51-year old goaltender

The Associated Press, Nov. 23, 2011

Paul Deutsch's pals in his recreational hockey league needed to find a replacement goalie Wednesday night. The 51-year-old embroidery shop owner was going to be suiting up for another team: The NHL's Minnesota Wild.

The Wild signed Deutsch to an amateur tryout contract to serve as an emergency backup to starter Josh Harding for Wednesday's game against the Nashville Predators.

“Actually giving up my Wednesday night game,” Deutsch said. “We play at Bloomington Ice Gardens at 9:45 p.m. till they turn the lights off. Tonight's the night. I can't make it.”

Deutsch was signed after Niklas Backstrom was declared out for personal reasons.

Matt Hackett was recalled from Houston, but his flight wasn't scheduled to land in the Twin Cities until about 6:30 p.m. and, with the holiday traffic, Minnesota couldn't take any chances of being short a goaltender.

Deutsch's improbable shot at playing in an NHL game ended almost as quickly as it started, though. Hackett arrived at the arena just before the 7 p.m. game time and Deutsch was scratched.

Wearing a pair of former Wild goaltender Manny Fernandez's pads, Deutsch participated in pre-game warmups.

“Pretty nervous and I just want to make sure I don't do anything stupid,” Deutsch said. “Stay out of their way and do what I'm supposed to do, give Harding a break when he needs one and let the guys fire away.”

Deutsch's signing was not as unlikely as it seems for someone who last played in a competitive league in 1978, when he was a junior varsity defenceman for Minneapolis Roosevelt High School.

He is a good friend of former Wild assistant coach Mike Ramsey and has been used as a fill-in goalie at Minnesota practices.

And because of NHL rules, the Wild wasn't allowed to sign a goaltender with professional experience. Deutsch's amateur tryout contract fit within the rules.

“It's very nervous,” Deutsch said. “Practice is one thing. I have to tell you the game faces are on. I don't see that very often with these guys. At practice it's calm, laughing and ha-has. Game day is different.”

Deutsch runs a screen printing and embroidery store in a St. Paul suburb and plays recreational hockey. He didn't even start playing goalie until he was 37.

“When you play senior men's hockey and there is no goalie, there is no game,” Deutsch said. “That's how I started. I was tired of coming into the room and saying ‘Oh rats, there aren't two goalies.’ Guys would literally go home. So I said, ”You know what, I'm going to play.“

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Men coaching women a balancing act

Danny Rode, Red Deer Advocate, November 19, 2011

When Trevor Keeper took over as head coach of the RDC Queens hockey team this season, he was stepping into a new world.

He is coaching women for the first time. And while he wasn’t about to change his coaching philosophy, he knew he couldn’t go in with his eyes and mind closed to the new challenges.

“Personally my coaching philosophy and psychology is the same as with the boys — they’re elite athletes and they want to be treated the same. They want to be taught and work on relationships and team building,” he said. “But there are some subtle differences. Little things can be demanding. If you’re too hard on them they take it more personally than male athletes. The boys may hold a grudge, but they want to go out and prove you wrong and will perform, while the girls take it a little more personally.

“They’ll take feedback if it’s constructive, but you can’t make them feel they’re at fault.”

Longtime RDC Queens volleyball head coach and Alberta Sports Hall of Fame member Cor Ouwerkerk knows what Keeper is talking about.

Ouwerkerk took over as the Queens head coach in 1974 and coached full time until 1999, when Talbot Walton took over. Ouwerkerk is the winningest coach in Canadian colleges women’s volleyball history and was the only coach to win a national title outside of Quebec between 1978 and 2007. The Queens won gold in 1984 in Quebec and won seven silver and four bronze medals in other trips to the nationals.

“I remember the first tournament we went to after I took over, we finished in last place,” said Ouwerkerk. “Later that week at practice, I got the message that the players weren’t happy with that. I asked them if they wanted to work like the men and they all said yes.

“They wanted to work hard and they never complained. They learned quickly and played as a team, more so than the men, who always had one, two or three guys who were more interested in their stats. The girls worked hard as a team and complained less.”

Ouwerkerk found it easy to motivate the players as long as he gave them appropriate direction.

“Overall, they were more self-motivated than the men,” said Ouwerkerk, who coached men for two years at SAIT and four years at RDC before taking over the women’s program.

“But the main thing was you can’t be a bully type coach. You have to be democratic and when you emphasize the negative, there has to be a positive reinforcement. You give credit where credit is due, but you also have to be honest with that. You can’t be positive all the time. You overdo it and it becomes meaningless.”

Keeper knows that the relationships on the team are an important aspect in team building.

“The importance of relationships and team cohesion are important at any level, but more so with the girls,” he said. “I find that the girls don’t want to step up at times in case it may offend someone else. Sometimes guys can execute and perform even if they’re not getting along 100 per cent, but the girls’ relationships off the ice relate directly to how well they play. That’s something that’s interesting to me.”

But Keeper is excited above the challenge.

“Definitely. It’s a new challenge I need as a coach,” he said. “(Assistant coaches) Erik (Lodge) and Brandon (Cote) and myself have always coached boys and we saw right away how coachable the girls are in terms of team systems and individual skills. They ask more questions than guys and if you teach them something that will make them better, they’re quick to apply it.

“Guys rely on their athleticism and cut corners. If you teach the girls something, you can see them trying to do it right away, whereas guys you have to reinforce it more before it shows in a game.”

Notre Dame Cougars volleyball head coach Chris Wandler has been involved in coaching girls since he got out of high school in 1989. He coached junior high after high school, but did coach the boys at Notre Dame after graduating from university in 2000. He got back into coaching the girls in 2008, but has always been involved with the club and provincial girls’ teams.

“I’ve always been a teacher at heart and I found with women they love to learn and you see the benefits of that learning and I like that in athletes. The guys seem to be focused on the results while the girls were focused on the process, which drew me into it.”

Wandler, who has spent nine years as an assistant coach with the Queens, will add to his repertoire next year when he takes over as head coach of the Olds College women’s volleyball team.

“It’s new and exciting,” he said. “It’s a challenge in starting a program from scratch and recruiting the type of athletes that fit my systems. The time I spent with Talbot and the Queens enabled me to get a grasp on the type of skills needed to play at the college level and the mental training needed to play at the elite level. They execute at a higher level and are advanced physically and more mature.

“But you’re also still teaching.”

Wandler believes women are closing the gap on the men when it comes to athleticism.

“Their athleticism has come a long way in the last 10 years,” he said. “The opportunity to train is better and they’re starting to close the gap. I know the girls want to do well and have the motivation and drive to be their best.”

Ouwerkerk always set team goals, sometimes higher than what you’d expect.

“We set high goals, which forced us to work that much harder,” he said. “The main thing I always tried to do was to be honest. You don’t over emphasize the positive, but not the negative either.

“I always had a saying that ‘You might play like an idiot but you’re not an idiot. You’re a good young lady and it bothers me when you play like an idiot’.”

Ouwerkerk said the players came to him with more issues than the men.

“When there was tough situations I always thought about it a day or two to make sure to find the right solution.”

Keeper hasn’t been around long enough to see everything, but he does realize players at the college level are mature enough to handle a lot of situations.

“At this level they have been through the minors and understand what commitment is needed. It’s six days a week and they have to balance their time between hockey and school.

“All we ask is that they put in a full effort to get better. Not to just put in the time, but put in quality time and to improve as a group week to week.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Caps? Brooks Laich ready, willing and able
Count on versatile center to get job done for Washington

Stephen Whyno, The Washington Times, November 24, 2011

At 19 years old, Brooks Laich had to choose a path. Playing in juniors for the Seattle Thunderbirds of the Western Hockey League, Laich?s coach, Dean Chynoweth, told him to make a decision.

?I could either be a 100-point American League hockey player, or a 50-to-60-point NHL hockey player,? Laich recalled. ?He said, ?You make the choice.? ?

When Laich saw Chynoweth last year, he gave him a signed jersey with a simple message: ?This jersey wouldn?t have been possible without you.?

It?s hard to put a number on how valuable that moment was ? maybe $27 million, the amount on the six-year contract the Washington Capitals signed Laich to last offseason.

Laich has said that he doesn?t play for the money, and his story about misplacing checks in his trunk and line going into free agency that ?Saskatchewan is a pretty cheap place to live,? makes the talk easy to believe.

And even though Laich?s mind isn?t on his money, that doesn?t mean he didn?t warrant the deal.

Laich won?t score 30 goals or pile up 100 points; he has never put up more than 59 points in NHL career. But he?ll earn $6 million this season, his seventh, largely for his ability to do so many things so well.

?I take a great deal of pride in being able to be on the ice in every situation,? Laich said. ?I never want the coach to look down the bench and say, ?OK, in this situation, I can?t put him on.? So it?s something I work hard at.?

Making of Laich

Laich, 28, learned the value of work ethic as part of a humble upbringing in Wawota, Saskatchewan, from parents Harold and Jane. But he became Brooks Laich the hockey player thanks to Chynoweth.

Laich knew how to score, putting up 103 points in 57 games in midget AAA hockey a few years earlier. But he stepped back and thought about it what his coach was saying, and it all clicked.

?I had to learn how to kill penalties, I had to learn how to pick up assignments, chip pucks out, do little things ? learn the game more than just the offensive side of it,? Laich said. ?It?s advice that I?ve never forgot, that I?m very thankful for, and it actually amazes me how spot-on he was.?

Laich always jokes with Chynoweth that he?s going to run the New York Islanders? defense, the unit his old coach is in charge of now. But he remains eternally grateful for the priceless words.

?That was a major point in my life that determined my career path,? Laich said.

All-around hockey player

Laich did just what Chynoweth said, making Canada?s world junior team and becoming a second-round pick of the Ottawa Senators. George McPhee pulled off what turned out to be a heist by getting Laich for the past-his-prime Peter Bondra in February 2004.

Laich just appears to be hitting his prime now, blossoming into a complete player. He?s a natural center but has been able to adjust to left wing and right wing. Recently, he was even used as a defenseman when injuries crippled the Capitals on the blue line.

He?s happy to do it whatever he?s asked.

?I love it. I don?t know why I love it. But I do,? Laich said. ?It?s something that keeps it interesting for me; you never fall into just a solid routine where maybe you get complacent with this or that. The game?s always changing, you?re always learning. ? I think it helps you learn a lot more about the game, which ultimately makes you a better player.?

Karl Alzner flashed a wide smile when talking about Laich the defenseman and his new appreciation for defense. Forwards and defensemen constantly rib each other about their positions, but now Laich knows how the other half plays.

?I think when he signed his contract, they had no idea he was going to play defense,? right wing Troy Brouwer quipped. ?I don?t think we need to worry about that. It?s not a regular thing ? you pay D-men to play D, not forwards to play D.?

But the Capitals pay Laich to do everything, which includes blocking shots, backchecking and scoring. He said his role depends on the game and the situation. If his team is down 3-1, he knows his job is to score; if his team is up 3-1, he switches into defensive mode.

?Sometimes I have to sacrifice my personal goals of maybe trying to get an offensive chance or whatever, because you understand consequence and you understand the moment in the game,? he said.

Label-less leader

Laich doesn?t wear a ?C? or ?A? on his chest. Those honors belong to Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Knuble.

But anyone who thinks Laich isn?t a leader doesn?t know the Caps and doesn?t know him. Assistant coach Dean Evason called him ?an extension of the coaching staff? ? a player who can take messages to the group at-large with the certainty they?ll get through.

Some players are better leaders without a label, and that?s Laich.

?He just goes out, plays hard every night, practices hard every day, he trains hard,? Evason said. ?He does all the right things, says all the right things.?

Seemingly equal parts vocal and example, in a room full of players who have had varying levels of individual and team-oriented success, Laich fits in perfectly.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Tom Thompson: Mario Lemieux comeback still greatest of all-time
Mario Lemieux had 690 goals and 1,723 points in 915 career NHL games.

Tom Thompson, The Hockey News, 2011-11-26

Like all hockey fans, I was thrilled by Sidney Crosby's comeback to the NHL. I have witnessed some of the frustrations encountered by world-class athletes as they try to recover from the effects of concussions. They must hurdle many obstacles before they can spy light at the end of the tunnel. In typical Crosby fashion he "shot the lights out" in his return game, registering two goals and two assists, and deserves all the credit he has received.

All of it, that is, until one specific comparison was made. Some commentators compared this comeback to the one made by Mario Lemieux two nights after Christmas in 2000. By any objective standard, there is no comparison. Lemieux's comeback was the most remarkable feat of its kind in my lifetime. All others must play second fiddle.

Crosby is 24 years old. His last game before his injury took place slightly less than 11 months prior to Monday night's game. Although Crosby has had some groin problems in the past, he has suffered no major injuries requiring surgery. The concussion was the first major roadblock in his NHL career.

Lemieux was 35 years old at the time of his comeback. People have a hard time believing me when I point out that more than 44 months elapsed between the time of his "retirement" in April, 1997 and his comeback in December of 2000. Prior to that time, he had played 12 seasons in the NHL. He missed major portions of three seasons with a back injury that required surgery. Unfortunately, infection developed following the surgery that delayed his recovery. He also missed a considerable part of another season undergoing treatment for Hodgkin's disease. His body was ravaged to the point where he sat out the entire 1994-95 season. His first comeback actually took place in the fall of 1995 when he played two more seasons, winning the scoring championship and being named to the first all-star team both years and winning another Hart Trophy as MVP of the league. When he retired in the spring of 1997, it truly looked like the end of the road for Mario. The big guy had squeezed every ounce of performance from his body.

Crosby's comeback was eagerly anticipated by the hockey world. Fans had agonized with him at each stage of his recovery. Debates ensued about the forms of treatment and there were always rumors about the projected date of the comeback as well as any setbacks on the road.

Lemieux's comeback stunned the hockey world. Until the last few days prior to his comeback game, there were not even rumors of what was to take place. He had periodically worked out with the team of which he was now part owner, but few people foresaw the seriousness of his intentions.

Crosby is undoubtedly focused on returning to his position atop the hockey world. Debates concerning his abilities compared to those of such players as Alex Ovechkin can rage long into the night, but at the top of his game, Crosby does not have to take a back seat to any other hockey player. A comeback to any level of status below the top of the hockey mountain will not be judged as successful.

At the time of Lemieux?s comeback, the hockey world realized standing atop the hockey mountain was not a realizable goal for him. Playing at a respectable level where he would not tarnish his previous reputation was ambitious enough. Hockey fans remained nervous throughout his second comeback that the next collision or twist could end his career for good. Over the next five seasons, Mario played just 170 games as he encountered two serious hip injuries before retiring for good in January of 2006 at the age of 40. During this time, he scored a remarkable 229 points and captained Team Canada to a gold medal at the 2002 Olympics where he scored six points in five games.

Go get them, Sidney! The hockey world definitely needs all of its marquee performers going at full throttle. All fans of the game admire your dogged determination in pursuing your comeback. But be fair to Sidney. Let his exploits on the ice rank him with the greatest of all-time. Lemieux performed the greatest comeback of all time. This is not challenged.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Before I made it: Jason Garrison
Jason Garrison leads all NHL defensemen with eight goals.

With Kevin Kennedy, The Hockey News, 2011-11-26

I went though all the levels from house league to AAA in Aldergrove, B.C. That was when I had the best time in minor hockey. I remember I was in either atom or peewee and we won the league championship and that was for sure the highlight of my young career.

I had some great coaches growing up. One guy I remember was John Blessman. He played professional hockey and he was our idol - he was the guy we all wanted to be like because he could shoot the puck hard and he was big. Whenever he spoke everyone listened.

My parents were also really involved. They drove me to the rink and got me the equipment when I needed it. I actually still have one of those Gretzky Easton aluminums back at home. I remember never wanting to break that stick. I remember using those until the bitter end and it was all cracked on the bottom and stuff.

When I was younger I collected hockey cards and was into roller blading and skateboarding. These days I still like to be outdoors, but I prefer golf and camping and more relaxing activities to pass the time like reading. I was big into the Dan Brown books and a lot of guys read on the road so you kind of just pick up on what other guys are reading and try it. It`s a nice escape.

At times I thought it was a long shot to make it to the NHL because I was a late-bloomer and I honestly didn't think I was going to make it as far as I have. That?s the reason I went to school. Somewhere down the road I wouldn't mind being a strength and conditioning coach for a pro team, just to keep me around the guys and stay involved in hockey.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The Canadian who saved the Dallas Stars

JAMES MIRTLE AND DAVID EBNER, Globe and Mail, Nov. 25, 2011

Only two hours before Tom Gaglardi was to be officially introduced as the new owner of the Dallas Stars this week, he walked into the team?s dressing room and spoke for the first time to the players themselves.

His message was simple, but it was one the Stars had waited more than two years to hear.

?The uncertainty?s over,? Gaglardi told them. ?I?m here and you?ll get my full support.?

Then he asked for their help.

Later that night, with their new Canadian benefactor looking on, Dallas won for the first time in nearly two weeks, beating the visiting Edmonton Oilers 4-1. Two days later, the Stars put together an impressive comeback against the Los Angeles Kings, taking out one of the better teams in their conference in overtime to remain among the playoff teams in the West.

It might have been only two wins, but for a Stars team that has missed the playoffs three seasons in a row, they were part of a surprising 13-8 start for a franchise with the NHL?s fourth lowest payroll and second worst attendance.

And Gaglardi?s arrival, after two years of bankruptcy court proceedings, has played a role in that on-ice success.

?He just brings stability,? said Stars defenceman Stephane Robidas, who has been through the franchise?s highs and lows going back to 2002. ?Not having an owner, there?s always this uncertainty. We knew the team wasn?t going to move, we weren?t in a situation like Phoenix is and like Atlanta and all those teams. We know it?s a good market. But just to have a passionate owner, it?s a great thing.?

Passion won?t be a problem for Gaglardi, a self-described hockey nut with pockets almost as deep as they come in the NHL.

The 43-year-old president of Northland Properties, Gaglardi runs a hotel and restaurant empire that has made the Vancouver-based family ? headed by Tom?s father, Bob ? the 39th richest in Canada and fifth richest in B.C.

Reclamation projects are nothing new for the Gaglardis, either, as they?ve been through a near-bankruptcy in the 1980s before amassing a net worth of $1.6-billion with a series of smart business decisions.

The family?s main assets consist of 145 restaurants (mainly Moxie?s and Denny?s), 45 hotels (Sandman chain) and the WHL?s Kamloops Blazers, a team Gaglardi bought for $7-million in 2007 with NHL players and alums Mark Recchi, Shane Doan, Jarome Iginla and Darryl Sydor.

In Dallas, Gaglardi has already helped to bring some good vibrations to a market that for years was considered the NHL?s shining success story in the U.S. sunbelt.

Step 1 was to rehire Jim Lites as team president, bringing back the man who helped lead the business side of the franchise?s growth in the early years after arriving from Minnesota.

Step 2 was reassuring players and fans that Gaglardi would spend enough to win, putting success on the ice and at the gate above the type of bean counting that has hurt the franchise the past few years under troubled former owner Tom Hicks.

?This isn?t a franchise that?s never been up,? Gaglardi said in an interview with The Globe and Mail this week. ?It?s been up for most of its existence, and it lost its way in the last three years.?

Gaglardi?s connection to NHL players via the Blazers, meanwhile, has proved important in the early days in Dallas. When his name first began to surface in ownership talks, Stars players Vernon Fiddler and Michael Ryder spoke with former teammates Doan and Recchi and came back with optimistic scouting reports on just who this Gaglardi fellow was.

?All we?ve heard is positive things,? Robidas said.

Robidas added that what he finds the most encouraging is Gaglardi?s passion for hockey, something Hicks lacked and that may have had a role in the franchise essentially being abandoned the last two years.

There are also similarities between the situation with the Blazers and the Stars, as the junior team that was a dynasty throughout the 1980s and early ?90s before fading away has slowly been rebuilt the past few years.

His partners credit Gaglardi for Kamloops? rise in the standings.

?I think he?s going to be incredible for the NHL,? Doan said. ?The four of us, we?ve all learned so much from him and just enjoyed being around him. He loves the sport so much ? and he?s someone who makes everyone around him feel comfortable and want to be better.?

?The league?s lucky to have him,? added Recchi, who many believe is in line for a hockey ops role with the Stars.

Doan added that Gaglardi has been talking about his dream of owning an NHL team for a long time, something he first pursued in a failed bid for the Vancouver Canucks that turned into a high-profile court battle.

By 2009, Gaglardi had turned his attention to Dallas, where he has family connections ? he refers to himself as ?half-Texan? given his mother grew up in nearby Longview ? and sees an opportunity to bring the fans back by giving them something to cheer for.

He knows the numbers ? including all the sellouts not long ago ? and has seen the long row of banners in the rafters at the American Airlines Center that ends suddenly in 2005-06.

?It?s tough for a fan to get excited about a team owned by 40 banks and going through bankruptcy,? Gaglardi said. ?To commit [their] time and money? Now we have certainty, and we?re stable. We?ve stated ?We?re here to build a winner.?

?This market is too good for me not to get involved.?

Big number: 10,648

Average number of fans per game for the Dallas Stars this season, second last in the NHL and ahead of only the Phoenix Coyotes. Dallas had announced crowds of 17,215 fans a game as recently as two years ago.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Boudreau's row with Ovechkin cost him his job

Tim Wharnsby, CBC Sports, November 28, 2011

The season had been going along magnificently for Bruce Boudreau.

His fifth season behind the Washington Capitals bench began with seven wins in a row. Then after a couple of difficult losses in Western Canada to the Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks, the Capitals returned home to score, what was considered at the time, a monumental come-from-behind 5-4 win against the Anaheim Ducks in overtime.

You may remember that game. Boudreau wanted to show superstar Alex Ovechkin and his fellow countryman Alexander Semin who was boss this season. And he did. Boudreau didn't like the way the not-so-great eight had been playing, so with his team down a goal he benched Ovechkin late in regulation time and kept his seat planted for the first handful of shifts in extra time.

Ovechkin was not happy. He uttered two words that began with the letter 'F.' The first word was fat, and this outburst toward his overweight coach was shown on highlight shows around North America.

Boudreau's ploy worked to perfection that night. The Capitals tied the game late and won in overtime with Ovechkin on the ice.

After that, however, Ovechkin pouted. He scored only three times in the next 12 games and the Capitals record was a poor 3-7-1. Boudreau had lost his team. He no longer had the support from the Capitals ownership nor general manager George McPhee.

Ovechkin is easy to blame in this episode in the firing of Boudreau. He hasn't been the same player since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Semin has been missing in action even longer. But how did the Capitals punish Semin for his indifferent play? McPhee sign him to a $6.7-million US extension last January.

Rather than stand up to Ovechkin and Semin and back Boudreau, McPhee took the easy way out and got rid of his affable coach. Yes, Boudreau is popular in media circles. He's honest and usually up-front. He's a good story because he spent so many seasons as a player and later coach in the minor pro ranks.

The bottom line, however, is that the Capitals needed to improve defensively under Boudreau in order to have some playoff success. These two rounds and out were not cutting it. Last year, McPhee stuck with Boudreau despite an eight-game losing streak in December. The Capitals rebounded to finish first in the East, but then bowed out in the second round after being swept by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

There just hasn't been improvement since the Capitals went out in the first round in 2010 after winning the Presidents' Trophy. This time around, it was hard to ignore the fact that the Capitals were 29th in goals against at 3.27 and it didn't help matters that offensive defenceman Mike Green has missed significant time in the past month.

Hunter gets his shot

But McPhee decided to bring back a player from the past in Dale Hunter. He has been a candidate in the past, and now gets his shot after 10-plus seasons in junior behind the bench of the London Knights.

Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby have been and will continue to be compared to each other over their careers. Crosby won with his third coach in the NHL, maybe so can Ovechkin.

There are no recent success stories of junior coaches going straight to the NHL and having success. Usually, the path traveled is like the one Stanley Cup-winning coaches like Ken Hitchcock and Mike Babcock took. They went from junior to the AHL to the NHL or at least gaining experience as an assistant coach in the NHL.

But unlike most of the coaches who went straight from junior to the NHL (Tom Renney, Peter DeBoer, George Burnett), Hunter has more than 1,400 games of NHL experience as a player. Yes, we know Brent Sutter went from junior to the NHL with plenty of NHL experience as a player, too, and has yet to make an impact at the pro level. But Hunter will have plenty of star power to work with.

In the 51-year-old Hunter, the Capitals gain a respected figure from the past. He has won at the junior level (his .766 win percentage is the best in OHL history) with a Memorial Cup title in 2004-05. He also has a history of working well with top players in London like Corey Perry, Patrick Kane and Capitals current blue-liner John Carlson.

Hunter should be good for Ovechkin. But how long will it take to get him and the other Washington malcontent in Semin playing consistently well? Hunter's first game behind the bench is against the St. Louis Blues, 7-1-2 since Ken Hitchcock took over as coach. Then two nights later, in comes Crosby and the rival Pittsburgh Penguins to pay a visit.

Sometimes, timing is everything. And we'll see later this spring whether the time was right for this move.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Is Ovechkin a coach killer?

Mike Milbury, CBC Sports, November 28, 2011

Alexander Ovechkin and his sidekick Alex Semin killed their coach.

Chalk one up for the bad guys. Bruce Boudreau had no chance after he benched Ovechkin in the waning minutes of a recent game and the "Great 8" muttered an unflattering description of his coach. The clock began to tick for Boudreau at that moment and his team's recent poor play made it easy for GM George McPhee to fire the coach on Monday.

Boudreau's failing might have been in waiting too long to try to break the talented but undisciplined star. God bless him, he did try in the end, and it did him in. Whatever blame falls on the coach pales in comparison to the responsibility Ovechkin must shoulder. (I will not bother to talk Semin here. He is a lazy, overpaid talent not worthy of the time). It is time for the brilliant but playoff-challenged Ovie to grow up.

When the Caps signed Ovechkin to a ludicrously long-term contract, I am sure they expected that he would mature. He has not. And perhaps the very length of the deal as well as the dollars made him immune to change. In the light of playoff failure, of swirling rumours that his off-ice behaviour is questionable, and of his recent mediocre play, Ovechkin will now have to face up to the fact that he got the coach canned.

If he is smart, and I am very skeptical that he is, he will change. First to the room for practice. Last off the ice. Look at the video (and I don't mean Call of Duty) Stop with the goofy commercials for a while. Try a move other than cutting across the middle from the off-wing. Study the power play and opposing defences. Keep shifts to a minute or less. And don't be seen in a bar until the season is over.

For Dale Hunter's sake, I hope Ovechkin gets it. For every fan's sake, I hope he gets it. If not, he will become a serial coach killer and the Caps will be trapped with a fatally flawed captain and team.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hurricanes can coach Maurice, hire Muller

The Associated Press, Nov 28, 2011

The last-place Carolina Hurricanes fired coach Paul Maurice for the second time in less than a decade Monday and replaced him with former all-star Kirk Muller.

Muller begins his first NHL head coaching job with a slumping team that has made one playoff appearance since 2006 and has lost 10 of 13 games.

He was in his first season coaching the Nashville Predators' AHL affiliate in Milwaukee after spending five seasons on the Montreal Canadiens' staff. He played 19 seasons in the NHL, made six all-star teams and led the Canadiens to their most recent Stanley Cup in 1993.

"It's very simple: you've got to get guys to believe in the system," Muller said. "You've got to get them to believe in being accountable for each other. And if you can come every night and you create that culture, and you give them something, a way to believe in how they play and why you're going to win that night, I think that's what players want."

Carolina dropped to 8-13-4 following Sunday night's 4-3 loss at Ottawa, its third in a row. The Hurricanes are 14th in the Eastern Conference — but only five points out of the No. 8 spot — and play Southeast Division leader Florida on Tuesday night to begin a three-game homestand.

"You certainly don't give up on the season at this point in time, and as bad as we've been over the last five weeks or six weeks, we're really not far out of being in the thick of things," general manager Jim Rutherford said. "A new coach can't come in and just put his new system in in a morning skate and all of a sudden make things better.

"We may win tomorrow night, we may not, but really what I want to see is on a consistent basis, we have that work ethic," he added. "And when we get to that consistent basis, the wins will come and they will come in streaks."

Rutherford said he began considering changing coaches roughly a month ago during the team's slow start and reached his decision following the Hurricanes' listless 4-0 loss at Montreal on Nov. 16.

Rutherford said he and Muller — whom he said was the top name on his short list — had been in contact for little over a week, and he discussed the job with Jeff Daniels, coach of the Hurricanes' AHL team in Charlotte but ultimately preferred to go outside the organization.

Not alone

Maurice became the second coach in his division to lose his job Monday. His firing was announced about 90 minutes after the Washington Capitals fired Bruce Boudreau and replaced him with Dale Hunter. That means every team in the division except Tampa Bay — which hired Guy Boucher in 2010 -- has changed coaches since last spring.

Maurice's assistants — Rod Brind'Amour, Dave Lewis and Tom Barrasso — were retained and will work for the 45-year-old Muller, a star centre picked behind Mario Lemieux in the 1984 NHL draft who went on to score 30 or more goals five times and post seven 70-point seasons.

He has been asked to revive a Carolina team that ranks 28th in the league in goals allowed, giving up an average of 3.24, and has one of the worst power-play units in the NHL, scoring on just 12.2 per cent of its chances with the man advantage.

"I'm just honest, straightforward," Muller said. "I believe in accountability. I believe that it's a tough league, you've got to work hard, and if everyone's accountable to each other, everyone buys into a system, it's amazing what you can accomplish."

There may be more changes ahead for the Hurricanes. Rutherford wants to add a top-six or top-nine forward and could try to deal a defenceman.

"We're a long ways away from being the team we need to be," Rutherford said.

Maurice, who helped shepherd the club's move from Hartford to North Carolina in the late 1990s, returned to the Hurricanes in December 2008 when Peter Laviolette was fired. He guided their run to the 2009 Eastern Conference final, the club's only post-season berth since they won the Cup in 2006.

Before that, they hadn't reached the playoffs since Maurice led them to the 2002 Stanley Cup final -- the highlight of his first stint with the team. He was first fired by Carolina in 2003-04 following an 8-14-8-2 start.

Maurice received a three-year contract in 2009 that ran through this season. His combined record with the team was 384-391-145, and his career record of 460-457-167 includes two years with Toronto sandwiched by his stints with Carolina.

Maurice did not immediately return a text message left Monday by The Associated Press seeking comment.

Maurice holds the Hurricanes' career coaching record with 25 playoff victories. The 2009-10 team set a club record with a 14-game winless streak, last season's group finished one victory shy of making the post-season when it lost the finale on home ice and this season's team has shown virtually no consistency.

"When you put a group of guys together at the start of each season, you watch to see the team come together and to jell," Rutherford said.

"Some teams do, and some teams don't. And at this point in time, this team hasn't — for whatever reason. … From a team-concept point of view, even in years we haven't made the playoffs … we've been very fortunate with real character guys that wanted to win at all costs. And at this point in time, this group of guys don't. Haven't.

"So that's what we'll see here. Can Kirk pull these guys together and get them to step their game up? And if he can, that's good for this group."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Kennedy: Maurice firing a necessary move
Paul Maurice is out as the Carolina Hurricanes coach for the second time in his career.

Ryan Kennedy, The Hockey News, 2011-11-28

Paul Maurice seems to have a certain shelf life as an NHL coach. Today in Carolina it expired. Maurice, who led the Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup final in 2002, was fired and replaced by Kirk Muller, formerly an assistant with the Montreal Canadiens and the head coach of the American League’s Milwaukee Admirals until the hiring this morning.

Maurice had a reputation as a players’ coach with a high hockey IQ, but those credentials rarely translated into success. In 13 prior seasons as an NHL coach, his teams missed the playoffs eight times, including the past two campaigns. This is the second time he has been fired by the Hurricanes.

The allure of Maurice was his ability to capture a team’s imagination for unexpected playoff runs. In his second stint with Carolina (after an unsuccessful sojourn in Toronto), he took over the team midway through the season from Peter Laviolette and marched the Canes into the Eastern Conference final, where they fell to the Penguins.

With the Hurricanes floundering, this was definitely a move that needed to be made. Even though Muller himself is no chair-thrower, the shakeup will be good for a moribund Carolina dressing room. This is a team that features a Conn Smythe-winning goaltender in Cam Ward, a Calder Trophy winner in Jeff Skinner and a Canadian Olympian in Eric Staal, yet sits last in the Southeast Division with one of the worst records in the conference. On some nights, the Canes have looked like an AHL squad.

Staal in particular has struggled and it’s not crazy to think it stems from the fact his brother Marc has been on the shelf with post-concussion syndrome due to a hit Eric threw at the Rangers rearguard last year.

That’s one important player, but he’s not the only one flagging. Tomas Kaberle and Alexei Ponikarovsky both played under Maurice in Toronto, but the ex-Maple Leafs have done little to help the Canes night in and night out and Kaberle was even scratched over the weekend. Another free agent from the summer, Anthony Stewart, has been a press box visitor lately as well.

It may be too late to salvage this season for Carolina, but Muller is regarded as one of the brighter young minds yet to helm his own NHL team and is well-suited for the Canes, who have several high-profile youngsters still learning the ropes.

"Not knowing what it was like to be a pro, he helped me so much," said Milwaukee Admirals rookie center Michael Latta. "He's very positive, he doesn't get too down on guys. He jokes around with the guys, but he's serious, too."

While Muller's tenure with the Admirals was a short one, his NHL future was obvious to those around him.

"All the guys knew from Day 1 he wouldn't be here long," Latta said.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1339 posts :: Page 18 of 45